Dirt Moving What's the hype with HST?

/ What's the hype with HST? #41  
HST's have been refined over the past decades such that they're really smooth - not jerky anymore, like the cheapo golf carts described.

Best thing to do is visit a dealer, take test drives, and decide for yourself.

Another analogy - the overwhelming majority of U.S. vehicles have automatic transmissions. For heavy traffic, start & stop, it eliminates driving fatigue with constant shifting of manual transmissions. Same thing with a tractor - unless you're row-cropping for miles on end, you end up going foward/backward, around objects, etc. And as you grow older, constant shifting is fatiguing. Everyone I know now has HST tractor drive.

Good luck,

DM

/ What's the hype with HST? #42  
Well, I would never do that. My point was is that they can be dangerous and painful giving a situation if you had to just let off (or yank off the pedal), even at slower speeds. Let's just say, for example, I noticed a rock in the fairway and had to stop quick so I wouldn't damage the reels....not dangerous, but can be somewhat painful. Especially when sudden slow downs happen 100's of times a day. Or some clueless golfer turns in front of me while in transport...possibly dangerous. I've had my share of accidents with my crew hitting trees and golf carts because they couldn't just yank off and hit the break. They needed to ride it out and slow down! I think I've made a bad comparison because golf course maintenance equipment is not the same as a tractor. Do you guys know if the GST has a shuttle control for forward and reverse as well? I've operated some larger skip loaders that had that option and it was nice for the multi-point turns. Like you said k0ua, the only way I will truly know...is if I go drive one myself. It's just a little hard because to do that, it's 1.5 hrs one way. However, I will because I have to. Thanks again everyone!

Would you just pop the clutch on your gear tractor on dry pavement? Hit the brakes hard in reverse on dry ground?

That's exactly what you are doing with HST by being abrupt on the pedal.

Sounds like an operator that is not familiar with the equipment...

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

/ What's the hype with HST? #43  
I have an L39 and L45 and have lots of hours on both. The L39 GST trans is great for raw power and many tasks but doesn't hold a candle to the L45 HST for precision work. If you will be using forks or moving things where you need accuracy within a couple of inches then the L45 is for you. If you just want to use the tractor for rough work and don't need the precision then the L39 should work. The other big (huge) thing that nobody has mentioned is pto powered implements such as a snowblower. You need the l45 for this as you can keep the snowblower turning at 540rpm and change your ground speed to match the snow load. Example: backing into a drift with the L45 you just listen to the motor and let off the go pedal a bit as it starts to bog down. As soon as your back to not bogging you step on the go pedal to bring your speed back up. With the L39 and same situation: I'm backing up in 3rd as I hit the drift and the motor starts bogging. I have to depress the clutch and while stopped wait for the motor to stop bogging, then shift to first gear then let the clutch out and start again for a foot or two before repeating this process with the clutch until i'm through the drift.

Definitely the L45 for me....

Mike

/ What's the hype with HST? #44  
I've been looking at the L39 TLB and the L45 TLB. It seems, everybody keeps talking about how great the HST performs. What is the deal with that? It just seems strange to me because I hated all of the golf course equipment with HST that I've operated over the last 25 years! If I were going down a hill driving a HST unit at full speed in transport and I just took my foot off the pedal (which I'd never do because that would be scary as heck!)...the rear tires would be off the ground and I'd be out of my seat..into the steering wheel. Even if you just let off slowly, it was uncomfortable and a back breaker. I hate the way it jumps when you let off the pedal and I hate the way it bogs down when you hit a hill. I like the good old fashion gas pedal with a clutch and a gear shifter!

Can someone please explain why they are so sought after? Do they jump when you let off? Do they bog when you hit a hill?

I know how they creep and have the HST+ and what that does but I just don't get it.

Thanks for any insight on the HST with these beasts because I can tell you...golf course equipment with HST was never done well but we were stuck with them.

Thanks again!
Not all of us like HST, I sure don't! :D

But to be fair, HST in tractors is nothing like golf carts or small ridding lawn mowers. They do work pretty well. But I can't stand them! :)

/ What's the hype with HST? #45  
Do you guys know if the GST has a shuttle control for forward and reverse as well? I've operated some larger skip loaders that had that option and it was nice for the multi-point turns.
Our old L3750 has a shuttle and you can go forward to reverse & back without using the clutch.

I still prefer plain old gear drive though.

/ What's the hype with HST? #46  
Where i live, the HST and the snow blower are meant to be together. Theres nothing like letting off or applying pedal to maintain a constant flow of snow. This could never be done as easily with any other kind of transmission....period.

/ What's the hype with HST? #47  
Where i live, the HST and the snow blower are meant to be together. Theres nothing like letting off or applying pedal to maintain a constant flow of snow. This could never be done as easily with any other kind of transmission....period.

Same goes for a rototiller. Infinitely adjustable ground speed at 540 pto RPM is one big reason we went with a HST. I imagine it'd be good for a rotary hay cutter too, and a bush hog, flail mower, etc. If you had the option of lots of forward and reverse gears, like 12/12 or 16/16, that'd be alright too, but still not "infinite".

/ What's the hype with HST? #48  
Same goes for a rototiller. Infinitely adjustable ground speed at 540 pto RPM is one big reason we went with a HST. I imagine it'd be good for a rotary hay cutter too, and a bush hog, flail mower, etc. If you had the option of lots of forward and reverse gears, like 12/12 or 16/16, that'd be alright too, but still not "infinite".

my experience mainly revolves around snow blower uses. I could never get the right ratio of power and speed on a geared unit..especially as that ratio ALWAYS changes with snow thickness and wetness. The HST has solved that issue.

And the cruise control (magnet system) solved any problem using a mower , harrow, or whatever for hours on end.

/ What's the hype with HST? #49  
Hype: promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits

While I appreciate your curiosity regarding modern Hydrostatic Drive Tractors, to leave the station referring to HST as hype is a questionable tactic. As many others have posted here, HST has its place for a wide range of tractor operations, shuttle shift for others and good old geared/clutched drives for yet others.

What's the hype with passenger jet aircraft, propellers work fine. Well, if you want to carry 200 souls at mach .9, turbine thrust is the way to go. If you want to dust crops, go with a prop. Hype is not the proper term for appreciating the benefit of one technology, applied to a specific operation, over another.

The reason you see so much discussion over and love for HST on these forums is the majority of operators fall into a category where HST works best for what they do.

/ What's the hype with HST? #50  
My L4200 GSTC has 8 forward and reverse gears. (Also a low reduction if needed)
It does have a clutch, but "never" use it.
I set my rpm's to a desired speed via the right arm (usually 1300),
I set my shuttle shift to (usually 4th gear) and leave it there,
sometimes tapping it to 5th when more speed is needed.
My left arm controls "forward or reverse" shifter and speed is further controlled
via the foot pedal.
If I have to stop "quickly" I have two choices,,
Slip the "forward reverse arm" in neutral and brake or,
Slip the gear selector to neutral and brake.
I have no problem with "creeping up" to a garage door etc,
First gear with foot on the brake and when I'm where I want to be,
slap it in neutral, brake.
Another happy GST owner,:)
Shifting gears while snow blowing (if the engine bogs) is done on the fly, no stopping, no clutching.
But I am intrigued by these HST machines,