What's wrong with this picture?

/ What's wrong with this picture?
BTDT said:
Any plans on investing in "metal" jack stands? I too have used blocks of wood, concrete, bricks, etc. in a pinch to get something propped up, but in the shop? Maybe you have some under it that is not in the picture. If that block fails, and you end up pinned under the tractor, you may not get out of bed for a long time. (Friendly reminder):eek:

I've got several metal jackstands, but those 6"X6" timbers hold as much, maybe more, and they don't slip and slide like metal. Look close enough and see there's a second block under the drawbar bracket that's actually holding the weight of the tractor, with the jack and it's block only in positin to raise the weight when it's time to remove the main support.

If you try to place a jackstand out near the end of the axle while dismounting/remounting the tire, there's a more than good chance of hitting it with the tire, possibly dislodging the tractor from it's support.

And the biggest saftey feature of all? I NEVER get myself in a position where I'm UNDER anything. If it does fall, it would hit the concrete but not ME.

I lost a very dear friend about 20 years back when he dropped a 9600 Ford off an automotive style jackstand while changing a tire. He was under the tractor attempting to break down the inside bead. The full weight of the tractor landed on his head, killing him instantly. I'm very conscious of what can happen. Thanks for the concern anyway.

/ What's wrong with this picture? #12  
I'll agree with Farmwithjunk, a few 6x6's 2' long and about anything can be propped up safer than jackstands. personally I don't liek using jackstands on anything I'm banging on or attempting to persuade something that doesn't want to move into moving.

/ What's wrong with this picture?
Birdhunter1 said:
I'll agree with Farmwithjunk, a few 6x6's 2' long and about anything can be propped up safer than jackstands. personally I don't liek using jackstands on anything I'm banging on or attempting to persuade something that doesn't want to move into moving.

My father-in-law moved houses for a living. Him and his crew had to crawl under the jacked up house in order to position the trucks (wheels). We're talking an entire house and not just a 5000lb tractor. Guess what they used for cribbing? That's right. 6X6 timbers. Positioned correctly, they'll hold anything that the stoutest of jack stands can, and do it with ease and simplicity. Set a metal jack stand under an odd shaped part of a tractor and you'll end up with a small contact point of metal to slick metal. Do that with wood and that odd shaped surface digs in to the wood and provides an additional margin of saftey.