Wheel adjustments

/ Wheel adjustments #1  

bambam31

Tractor
Kubota L3800 HST 4x4 FEL R1 tires
Ive got a 4x4 L3800 with a FEL and loaded R1 tires. When I purchased my tractor the wheels were set at the narrowest setting of 43.8 center to center. The wheels will allow a max setting of 50.8 center to center. That is almost a 14% increase in width. I would hope the max would result in a reduction in the rocking Ive been experiencing when traveling over uneven ground. This isn稚 a project I would want to tackle myself. Before I go through the trouble of making a trip to the dealer, what should I expect in terms of a change in performance? Any pros and cons shared appreciated.

/ Wheel adjustments #3  
The only operational restriction I know of is that you cannot operate a moldboard plow unless the center of the rear tires line up with the center of the front tires.

/ Wheel adjustments #4  
Like this?

Attachments

• A7620283-1C5E-4FBC-9621-46F055D11209.png
    A7620283-1C5E-4FBC-9621-46F055D11209.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 90
   / Wheel adjustments #5  
I am not sure would want my tires wider than my bucket if that would happen. Do agree wider stance will make the tractor more stable. The front axle is not hard to change, it is the rear tires. If loaded you can get seriously hurt with them. If you were to tackle the job on the rear you be sure you jack and block both sides and the font axle pivots you have a very unstable tractor.

/ Wheel adjustments #6  
I have my fronts, outside to outside, same width as my bucket. My rears are 9" wider than my bucket, 4.5" each side.

If I needed to dig a long flat bottom ditch the width of my buckt this might be an issue. But I've never had that problem.

The stability improvement is very significant. Just as significant is the ride improvement.

I have no tasks that require my wheels be set all the way in. I swapped mine before I loaded them.

I helped my Son set is out with loaded rears, 16.9x28. Once you have the tire free from the tractor it needs to be a one man operation. All a helper is gonna do is get you hurt. If you have a good concrete floor it is easier. But can be done in the dirt.

/ Wheel adjustments #7  
Like this?

Sometimes Jeff doesn't think things thru. Well,,, okay,,, many times.

To his comment, actually it's the inside width that matters, not center of tire.

/ Wheel adjustments #8  
I’ll wager I’ve spent more hours moldboard plowing than he has spent on a tractor altogether, but we will never know.

/ Wheel adjustments #9  
No doubt about that.

/ Wheel adjustments #10  
I have 2,300 engine hours on my tractors, perhaps 400 engine hours operating aged neighbor's tractors on their land. All tractor hours during fourteen years of retirement.

During my working years I was employed thirty-seven years in the wine industry primarily in sales management, marketing and winery management. Dabbled in the vineyards with vineyard manager and pruning crew to understand how to winter prune to achieve following year's sales projections and when it was decided to convert 200 acres of vineyard to certified organic production.

Fifty-one years of ag related experience.