Wheel fell off

/ Wheel fell off #1  

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
Got a buddy with a 16k PJ tilt deck. He lost the right rear wheel a few months ago, and I mean he lost it while going down the road. After this incedent, he carries an battery impact and religiously checks all his lugs. Tonight he called me, and it was happening to the same wheel, well actually the same location, he's running his spare because his orig. went off to ??? the first time. I had no advice or suggestions for him other than to actually keep a torque wrench in the truck and use it rather than just hitting it with his (20v Dewalt) cordless impact. The first time this happened, it broke or ruined most of his studs and they were replaced. He said tonight that he didn't loose any nut's but they went back on very hard and the threads were prolly gone and will need new studs again.
The same location is what I'm wondering about, is it an issue with the hub or something that would make this happen 2 times, or just a coincedence? He was loaded but not over loaded with about 12k pounds on board each time.
Any ideas?

/ Wheel fell off #2  
After he installs NEW studs and nuts he needs to use that torque wrench and NOT the impact. If that would have happened up here and he got caught, he would be liable to a $50,000.oo fine.

/ Wheel fell off #3  
Is the axle out of alignment? Making the wheel wobble.

/ Wheel fell off
Is the axle out of alignment? Making the wheel wobble.

I don't think so, but not 100% sure. He's one of those guy's that keeps all his stuff in in good working order & appearance.

/ Wheel fell off #5  
After replacing wheel studs you should re-torque the lug nuts several times for the first 1k miles or so. That will seat them.
Dave

/ Wheel fell off #6  
If that would have happened up here and he got caught, he would be liable to a $50,000.oo fine.

:eek: I've got to remember to stay out of Ontario.

/ Wheel fell off #7  
:eek: I've got to remember to stay out of Ontario.
The goobermint came up with that brilliant idea right after a rash of transport 'wheel offs'. The fines hadn't been in place a week before the next wheel off was the OPP hauling their boat on a trailer. I bet they didn't pay any fines.

/ Wheel fell off #8  
I would look closely at everything. I have seen cracked wheels that lead to things coming loose due to flex.

Chris

/ Wheel fell off #9  
Are the rims correct for the axels? If the center hole is to big all the stress is on the studs not the hub. He should check that out.