Wheel rakes with irregular fields?

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #21  
I hated the wheel rake in corners or on un-level ground, the hay and the ground would push the rake down hill and I would wind up driving over the edge of my windrow if I needed to flip it. I will say that after running a tedder, a wheel rake picks up alot more hay than the roll-a-bar new holland would. If I just wanted to turn the hay, I'd have a roll-a-bar rake, If I was gathering hay up after teddering, I'd have a large v-rake. Most people don't give raking much thought and the people who figured it out don't elaborate to much. I would say it is more of an art form and very hard to tell someone how to do a field without confusing someone. Alot of times experience in a particular shape of field will be the best guide as well as knowing what gives your baler problems.

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #22  
My neighbor has a wheel rake and has trouble unless on flat ground and long fields. He's always breaking tines. He likes the rake but needs flat ground and lots of room and you don't have either. Also, the wheel rake doesn't "loft" the hay as much as Rolobar rake will.

Your fields are likely small, very irregular and with humps and divots. I have walked the concord grape ground. In my view, the easiest answer is the 56 or the 256. You could go wider with a 258 and that would help some but it's still hard to turn and you would always be bunching up in the bends. You don't have a perfect answer.

Used a Deere 704 ten wheel rake for 11 years. The rake was junk because it was on casters and would slide down hill when on a side hill. Never had any problems raking with it once I changed my technique in raking style. Can't rake with a wheel rake like it's a roll-a-bar rake. Have a Sitrex ten wheel rake with center kicker. Much better than the Deere rake.

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #23  
Used a Deere 704 ten wheel rake for 11 years. The rake was junk because it was on casters and would slide down hill when on a side hill.

I agree JD 704 is a sorry rake but it only has castor wheels on each side at the frt but rigid wheels at the rear which tires/wheels are very similar to my H&S rake

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #24  
Is JD 704 same as Tunutti v10?

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #25  
This is the type of 704 rake we had. No solid wheels in the back, just casters.

Attachments

• image-2911571713.jpg
    image-2911571713.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 203
   / Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #26  
This is the type of Sitrex rake we have now. Heavier duty and more convenient. Can use it as a single rake too. Also picks up high enough to get yourself out of a jam.

Attachments

• image-3758910199.jpg
    image-3758910199.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 151
   / Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #27  

Pretty sure that is a green tonutti. Never seen one with out rear wheels but there are two 704's on Tractorhouse with only the casters. No wonder you hated it, I can understand why.

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #28  
This is the type of Sitrex rake we have now. Heavier duty and more convenient. Can use it as a single rake too. Also picks up high enough to get yourself out of a jam.

What kind of hay do you put up? Care to do a quick review?

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #29  

I had forgotten about your style of 704 which had less rake wheels than my 704. The 2 rubber tires had poorly designed brake pads on swivel points that were intended to limit swivel of the axles. Photo is a 704 similar to one I owned which had 12 rake wheels. My 704 broke apart in hay field while under warranty & after warranty more times than I care to remember.

Attachments

• 8e89c9ff-9700-4d99-b8c8-178fcb3dbc29.jpg
    8e89c9ff-9700-4d99-b8c8-178fcb3dbc29.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 168
   / Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #30  
What kind of hay do you put up? Care to do a quick review?

We just make mixed grass hay. Just feeding beef cows. The 704 rake broke in two last summer. That was the final straw.