Wheel Trencher Help

/ Wheel Trencher Help #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
I purchased a new wheel trencher this past month without the blade. I had a custom blade made. It is a 25" x 3/8"plate with about 40 carbide shark teeth on it. It is a larger version of the one I have on my Janick trencher. I put it on yesterday to try it out. It will cut about 5 or 6 inches deep, any deeper it stalls my machine. Not sure if 22hp engine doesn't have enough hp, or the hydraulic pump isn't strong enough, or the trencher motor doesn't have enough torque.

My Janick trencher, is a walk behind trencher. It has a 15hp Kohler Command engine. A small parker hydraulic motor. It will cut down to 5 1/2" with the 14" blade. It will cut the toughest and hardest ground without ever stalling. Heck it will concrete it you sit there with it.

My pt-422 is a 1999, i know there is something wrong with how she idles. Yesterday, she was occasionally backfiring while running. I'm thinking my machine is old, and tired.

Those of you that have a wheel trencher, will your trencher dig down 12" as advertised?

thanks
Frank

/ Wheel Trencher Help #2  
Remember that the hydraulic PTO isn't giving you 22 HP.

hp = (PSI X GPM) / 1714 = (2500 psi x 8 gpm)/1714 = 11.7 hp delivered to implement.

Assuming 85% efficiency of pump and motor, the P-422 engine is using = 11.7hp / 0.85 = 13.7 hp to drive the pump.

So it is not surprising that the PT can't beat your Janick trencher.

Sorry to depress you...

Last edited:
   / Wheel Trencher Help #3  
Also, the difference between a 14" blade and a 25" blade is huge. The blade speed at the tip of the 25" blade is way faster than the blade speed at the tip of a 14" blade, and the torque is way less at the tip of a 25" blade than a 14" blade.

/ Wheel Trencher Help
The PT wheel trencher comes with a 26" blade. The blade I had made is 25". If the PT wheel trencher will cut a trench 12" deep with the stock blade, as advertised on their web site, it should have no problem cutting it with the blade I had made.

/ Wheel Trencher Help #5  
The PT wheel trencher comes with a 26" blade. The blade I had made is 25". If the PT wheel trencher will cut a trench 12" deep with the stock blade, as advertised on their web site, it should have no problem cutting it with the blade I had made.

How wide is the cut compared to the PT blade? This makes a difference too.

/ Wheel Trencher Help
The new blade makes a cut 9/16" wide.

/ Wheel Trencher Help #7  
That does not seem very wide. How wide is the original one?

/ Wheel Trencher Help
Hi Bob, I didn't purchase the blade with the trencher, I believe PT's blade makes a 3" plus wide trench. I bury wire, so I need to cut the ground as narrow as possible.

/ Wheel Trencher Help #9  
Hi Bob, I didn't purchase the blade with the trencher, I believe PT's blade makes a 3" plus wide trench. I bury wire, so I need to cut the ground as narrow as possible.

Yeah, you'd think it should work. Can you just drive slower?