Ballast When do I need front ballast?

/ When do I need front ballast? #1  

lopezian

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota/L3400
I would like to use my rotary mower without the FEL attached. Do I need to purchase some front ballast before I do so? If not, when would I need front ballast? My specific situation is a Kubota L3400 with a 5' RZ60 brush hog without filled tires (nothing but air in the tires). I just saw some pictures on another thread ("is this cute or what") of a tractor without FEL or other visible ballast pulling a single bottom plow, so clearly it can be done, but I'm not sure what is safe.

/ When do I need front ballast? #2  
I run my B7300 without the FEL with no other front weight using my 4' rotary cutter all the time. I am cautious when going up hills as there is the potential to flip the tractor over the rears, but I always mow in 4WD - my property is quite steep - and as long as the fronts are pulling it seems OK.

The right thing to do, however, is to put suitcase weights (or wheel weights) on the front. The tractors at work without FELs have them and it does increase the stability considerably.

Mowing without the FEL improves manueverability quite a bit and on my tractor (sans power steering) it makes it a lot easier to turn the wheel without all that weight up front. But without front weight it is not as safe.

You can try it - just be aware that it is possible to power rotate the tractor up and over the rears - with you on the wrong side.

/ When do I need front ballast? #3  
chrisjbell said:
The right thing to do, however, is to put suitcase weights (or wheel weights) on the front. The tractors at work without FELs have them and it does increase the stability considerably.

Chris got it right...Suitcase weights... hung on the nose has more bang per pound over wheel weights due to the increased leverage by being in front of the axle...

/ When do I need front ballast? #4  
But wheel weights don't put as much stress on your wheel bearings. Like the difference between sprung and unsprung weight.

/ When do I need front ballast? #5  
hudr said:
But wheel weights don't put as much stress on your wheel bearings. Like the difference between sprung and unsprung weight.

True, but suitcase weights are quite easily removed...

Leaving the FEL on also increases wear on your front wheel bearings, so if you're not going to use it, best to take it off.

I'm with Chrisjbell here...I'd try it without front weights and see how it works. I did with my 790 (no front weights or FEL). I didn't like it and won't run the cutter without weight again. But, that's me...

/ When do I need front ballast? #6  
Usually when I use a rotary mower, I just drop the bucket and leave the loader frame on. This improves visibility almost as much as removing the frame and all but keeps the tractor ballasted a little better. Also keeps the hydraulics cleaner, is many times faster (at least with a quick attach bucket), and there is no need to find a real level spot which you must do when removing the loader frame. If you do not have a quick attach bucket your dealer can probably set you up with one. This is a $300-500 option on most models but some makes like JD give it to you standard on most of their tractors.

/ When do I need front ballast? #7  
I don't think that there's a simple cut and dry answer. I don't run any weights and tug around the same cutter you mention hooked to either my NH or 8n. But then again I generally run on relatively flat surfaces. When out and about town, I see municipal tractors mowing around parks with lots of weight (probably equal to cutter weight) up front. Bottom line, it probably doesn't hurt to have the ballast, but might not be necessary.

/ When do I need front ballast? #8  
My JD had a lot of weight on the nose, and I removed it to save the front end wear. A 7,000 pound tractor doesn't really notice it when just using a 6' bush hog.
The Ford I just purchased has a dozen(12) 37-40 Kg weights on the nose, and needs more. I picked up the mower when it was stretched out and the front wheels lifted about 4" off the ground. I am considering what to do to add weight to the front. I like the idea of wheel weights, and may make a couple, but also considering mounting a 20,000 pound capacity winch on the nose and then hanging the weights from that. I figure the winch will be enough weight added, and by moving the suitcase weights further forward, it will also help keep the front end down. The Ford probably weights at least a couple thousand pounds more than the JD. It already has an extra fuel tank, so that adds to the weight. Might move it forward a few inches to help.
David from jax

/ When do I need front ballast? #9  
David, does your 7710 have the cast weight bracket?

/ When do I need front ballast? #10  
I talked to a guy with a tractor and no FEL. He said he needed to put on some front weights to keep it from sliding around or rearing up on hills.

If you're only working a fairly level ground and just mowing, you can probably get away without using any front weights.

The FEL in front is a good stump or other obstruction finder if you run it low. I often need mine to knock limbs or vines down out of the way when using the brush hog. Helps to get you unstuck, too, if you get stuck beyond what a locked diff will get you out of.

Ralph