When do you replace tires?

/ When do you replace tires? #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I have a 16 year old Kubota L4400 4wd with about 600 hours on it. Came with Ag tires. Fronts are worn, torn, chipped and cracked. Considerable tread loss (fronts are overdriven compared to rears). Could easily keep running them for a while but it wouldn't be nuts to replace them. Anyway I think I'll know when its time for them to go. My question is about the rears. Surprisingly minimal tread wear. There are some torn places and a few missing chunks. However, they are cracked like crazy all around the tread bars and contact surface. Sidewalls look okay.

Tractor is not used for commercial purposes and nothing that I do with it would suffer if it was down for a week or so with a ruined tire.

I'm just wondering when it would be prudent to replace the rears.

/ When do you replace tires? #2  
If it was mine I would replace all 4 tires....:)

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / When do you replace tires? #3  
If you don't have traction issues or tire issues, I'd keep them awhile longer. I have a front tire that has been patched a couple of times, but otherwise in good shape, except that it leaks air. Many attempts to fix it have failed so I'm considering replacing it. In other words, what can you tolerate before you decide something has to change?

/ When do you replace tires? #4  
Replace all four - at the same time - for sure. You DO NOT want new on the front and worn on the rear.

I'd wait until the front tires literally fell off the rims.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / When do you replace tires?
I think in my case new fronts and old rears would be fine as the rears have virtually no tread wear. However, when the time comes I'll probably do all four just to have the job done at once.

All four tires are performing fine. No significant leaks. I suppose I've lost some traction on the fronts. Bars are worn down and rounded over.

Where does one buy tractor tires? I'm assuming the dealer would be the obvious choice but probably the highest prices too.

/ When do you replace tires? #6  
My fronts always wear faster than rears. Probably 2 sets or more for each rear set. Obviously more scrub an if you have loaders with engine up front, more weight on smaller tire. I’d just replace fronts if money is an issue, all 4 if it works financially.
Look on-line for a tractor, AG, industrial tire dealer service center.

/ When do you replace tires? #7  
I just replaced my fronts after approx. 11 years snd 600 hours. They needed help.

The rears are still doing ok.

Turf tires.

MoKelly

Last edited:
   / When do you replace tires? #8  
Where does one buy tractor tires? I'm assuming the dealer would be the obvious choice but probably the highest prices too.

Check on the tire shops around for new tires. Look for one that does ag tires. My son-in-law has a tire business and a significant part of the business is tractor tires.

Doug in SW IA

/ When do you replace tires? #9  
Around here, I choose Les Schwab for everything with tires.

/ When do you replace tires? #10  
I have 80 acres. This is located in an area called the Channeled Scablands - a large area abutting the Palouse on the north side. Several small spots on the property have exposed bedrock. This is basaltic lava bedrock. It can be as sharp as your grandfather's old straight razor.

I either avoid these spots or roll gingerly over them. They took large chunks out of the R-1's on my first tractor. So far, on the M6040, I'm OK. Live and learn.