When does abandoned equipment become "yard art"?

/ When does abandoned equipment become "yard art"? #21  
Saw an old pull type (don't know if designed for horses or tractor, or converted) road grader the other day. It was a strange feeling; kinda looking at an old pull-type combine. They used that stuff when I was a kid, but when I was old enough to help on the farm, nobody (well, almost nobody) used pull-type combines any more. I do recall seeing an actual threshing machine in operation, back, oh, about 1949, on a farm in SW Missouri. They don't grow much wheat in that part of the country, but this was an actual operation, not a demonstration. Having watched the combines in operation in Oklahoma, it seemed like a lot of work to shock the bundles, let them dry, load them on a trailer with pitchforks, haul them to the thresher and pitch them off with pitchforks.

Sorry... got carried away.

Caterpillar or Adams No. 8 ? CaterpillerGrader.jpgAdamsNo8-1.JPG

/ When does abandoned equipment become "yard art"? #22  
As soon as you take the rotted tires off and plant at least one flower near it....it痴 art!
Like this? I found this old 30in saw on my property while clearing. Moved to my wife's garden and built some planter boxes for it. No clue on how old. Looks like it was belt driven by who know what, and used to have some sort of sled.

IMG_1389.JPG

/ When does abandoned equipment become "yard art"? #23  
Someone said grandpas and steel wheels and this is the first thing I thought of .... :laughing:

E0226AA4-26FE-4096-9A43-163765D4933E.jpeg

/ When does abandoned equipment become "yard art"? #24  
The variations in "nomenclature" are always interesting between Europe and the U.S. We cut the crop with a binder that created twine wrapped bundles which we then picked up and grouped into shocks.

When you go to rural UK you will find many pubs called the wheatsheaf, a reflection on the local industry, funnily enough though despite having thousands of square miles of wheat production farms here the pubs rarely reflect it.
Memories fade and the 'sheafs' could have been cut and bound in one operation but I distinctly remember sitting behind a Suffolk Punch and having to tolerate its bad habits, I also know now where the expression 'farting like a draught horse' originated.

/ When does abandoned equipment become "yard art"? #25  
Like this? I found this old 30in saw on my property while clearing. Moved to my wife's garden and built some planter boxes for it. No clue on how old. Looks like it was belt driven by who know what, and used to have some sort of sled.

View attachment 558830

That's what my father always preferred to cut his firewood with. We would stack it 4' to dry, then run it through the cordwood saw in the fall. His first ran off a flat belt and was designed to hook to the front of the Farmall, but he converted it to run off the 3PH of the 8N. When traded the Ford for his first Kubota in 1978 he bought a PTO driven saw.
He loved it, I hated it as I was always the one standing next to the blade taking wood off to throw it into the truck.

/ When does abandoned equipment become "yard art"? #27  
The variations in "nomenclature" are always interesting between Europe and the U.S. We cut the crop with a binder that created twine wrapped bundles which we then picked up and grouped into shocks.

Looks like they didn't use a binder, but instead had to mow, then rake, then make the bundles and shock them by hand...then to the thresher. I have never seen a threshing machine used in Oklahoma, except as a demonstration. My Grand Father was a farmer, and he was fairly progressive, as money would allow. He bought a tractor...a Wallis...early on, and had a combine by the early 40's. I first remember he had a 1935 IH with rubber tires (originally came with steel wheels) and a 1942 M&M, model U. My firs "Job" at about age 10, was to carry water to the field South of the house for the old Gleaner combine.

/ When does abandoned equipment become "yard art"? #28  

View attachment 558830

Definitely art!

/ When does abandoned equipment become "yard art"? #30  
It's been many years since I saw a horse from the '40's in a yard. Maybe antique horses don't work as yard art, but new ones do.

:)

Bruce

Nope, horses are too mobile to be yard art, they are classified as "pasture ornaments" Got a lot of them here locally.