When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window?

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #41  
Okay so reasons other than protecting the glass. Guess that makes some sense. I certainly understand weight distribution depending what else may need to be on the trailer.

There really shouldn’t be any of much air getting under the hood at highway speed. Most of the air should be above that point after being deflected by the tow vehicle.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #42  
Maybe people will run the tractor with broken back glass, but don't want to go forward with a broken windshield?
:ROFLMAO:

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #43  
I'm involved in hauling a cab tractor 1000 miles over interstate roads. What are the chances a rock will pick up and break a window?
I hauled my NH TD95D from New Mexico to Montana and then from Montana to Idaho. I put in on our flat bed with the wind shield facing backward and I put a moving blanket over the back window pinched between the seals. That's a total of ~2800 miles. No Problems. If you have a turbo on the engine, tape your exhaust shut so the turbo can't windmill without oil. That's what my NH operator's manual said.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #44  
I'm involved in hauling a cab tractor 1000 miles over interstate roads. What are the chances a rock will pick up and break a window?
After thinking about this more. Go buy some lottery tickets. The odds of winning are the odds of breaking a window. Is there a chance absolutely. Based on the responses the odds are good you won't but............................................

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #45  
I worked for a IHC tractor dealership in the 1980s and we never covered cab windows and new tractors were hauled from the International Harvester factory in Illinois to Montana. I don’t remember any broken windows. We also hauled equipment to and from customers over lots of gravel roads without covering windows.

I see new equipment being hauled all over the place and they don’t cover windows.

Note this doesn’t mean it won’t happen but it’s not a regular occurrence.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #46  
Years ago, I worked for a farm supply company, and we had sprayers to do custom spray applications. These rigs were hauled around with big trucks with water tanks to supply the sprayers. Windows on these rigs got broken several times while being towed. Thats when we found the company that makes windshield protectors that I referenced in an earlier post.

I know it doesn't happen often, but I did have 2 windows broken on my tractors. This was about 4 years ago, and it was with 2 different trucks towing on 2 different trailers and it happened about 2 weeks apart.

I don't buy lottery tickets...

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #47  
just get a roll of shrink wrap, for pallets. wrap the cab, use it all... it's cheap, won't come off in rain and wind, easy to remove at your destination, will keep the cab safe, and cheap security in overnight hotel parking lots.

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #48  
Okay so reasons other than protecting the glass. Guess that makes some sense. I certainly understand weight distribution depending what else may need to be on the trailer.

There really shouldn’t be any of much air getting under the hood at highway speed. Most of the air should be above that point after being deflected by the tow vehicle.

Quite a bit of air flow over a tow vehicle does deflect down into the low pressure area created behind the vehicle so the hood on the equipment can/could be subject to the full force at highway speeds.
Air.jpg

/ When hauling a cab tractor, what's the chance a rock breaks a cab window? #50  
I would put a moving blanket over the window and then a thin piece of plywood over than. The plywood would dissipate a lot more shock than any blanket or bubble wrap would taker by itself.