When is it time to tear down?

/ When is it time to tear down?
The more recent pictures are from summer 2012.

/ When is it time to tear down? #22  
I think you are making the right choice and please be sure to pay adequate attention to the roof. When I worked for my uncle, in most of the really old barns we worked on, the root of the rot and eventual barn failure was from leaks in the roof that began the rotting in the underlying rafters and framing.

Best of luck that you find only minor issues and no big surprises!
Thomas

/ When is it time to tear down?
Yea, the roof is what I'm most concerned with. Even though there are no leaks currently I know the metal is getting thin in places. I'd also be shocked if there's not at least some minor leakage around the nails that hold the metal down. In addition to getting new siding lumber for it, I will likely be replacing the entire roof, metal and structure. I also found a pic of the outside.

IMAG0399.jpg

The closest corner in that picture is the corner that will need raised about 6" and pulled back in tight to the main structure. The siding lumber I ordered from the mill the other day will be 14' long so it will reach from the bottom to the top as a single piece.

/ When is it time to tear down? #24  
That is one good looking barn. How about finding some old beams to use as supports in the middle of the spans? You could raise it just enough to clear the siding. The 'new' supports would keep it from bowing any more. What kind of metal is the roof? Is it still the same roof from 1850?

/ When is it time to tear down? #25  
Yea, the roof is what I'm most concerned with. Even though there are no leaks currently I know the metal is getting thin in places. I'd also be shocked if there's not at least some minor leakage around the nails that hold the metal down. In addition to getting new siding lumber for it, I will likely be replacing the entire roof, metal and structure. I also found a pic of the outside.

View attachment 333732

The closest corner in that picture is the corner that will need raised about 6" and pulled back in tight to the main structure. The siding lumber I ordered from the mill the other day will be 14' long so it will reach from the bottom to the top as a single piece.
The photo says you have a lot of work to do. You probably already know that "square, plumb and level" are not simply for looks but rather are an engineering thing to try to counter act the laws of physics. If it were me I would get rid of that front "lean to" (we had a cabin once where a poorly constructed addition contributed to compromising the original building). Looks like you have an addition on the rear as well.

As for roofing, I'm sure you have a ton of steel building outfits there (I can name at least 6 around here) and I'm sure most of them do remodels in addition to new construction. Check them out for a quote (and while you are at it ask about the cost of new). A friend of mine is recovering nicely from his broken back from trying to roof his own building (I guess the pros wear a special type of shoe that lets them move around). Keep in mind that they may tell you to tear it down because they will make some money on any reclaim.

If it helps you any, one of our "locals" advertises 40x72x12 hay and storage building for $20k, 50x90x14 for $29k (both erected with doors included). It will not have the historical elements of your building and probably won't last as long but just thought I'd give a perspective.

/ When is it time to tear down? #26  
Given the barn's history, and that it has such deep family ties, I'd be inclined to try to save it. It will probably cost more to save it, then to rebuild, but then you lose the history.

/ When is it time to tear down? #27  
"If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag"

One of those "chicken/egg" things isn't it?

/ When is it time to tear down? #28  
"If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag"

One of those "chicken/egg" things isn't it?

Maybe, but as the saying goes, "If the wife isn't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

But yes, courtesy is a 2 way street. I'll be the first to admit that.

/ When is it time to tear down? #29  
Maybe, but as the saying goes, "If the wife isn't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

But yes, courtesy is a 2 way street. I'll be the first to admit that.

That "wife happy" thing was pushed by real estate agents to push the mortgage payor into spending too much money on a house that the wife would not be happy with a year later...given the state of the real estate market, I've haven't heard it used too much lately!!! In fact I think it has been trumped by "if you are that unhappy I'll help you pack".

So that Venus/Mars thing continues to prove true...pendulums do what pendulums do!!! :)

/ When is it time to tear down? #30  
Actually, the "wife happy" thing was said in teh 70's, so I don't agree that it was a real estate saying. I've been in the same home for YEARS, because I love it here. The house is small by most poeple's standards, but I get to grow a garden, have horses and cattle too, if we get rain.

I am sorry if you took offense to my signature. I also believe the last part of it is true too. I would rather share a smile, than argue, especially over something trivial. Yes, if someone is *that* unhappy, in life, they need to change something. That something might be location, job, or just their attitude. I think there are people that are just miserable, and never happy. I certainly hope that I am never one of them.

Again, my apologies, if I offended you. Not my intent. However, I won't change that signature for you either. :)