when to let go of tractor insurance

/ when to let go of tractor insurance #72  
Unless you are a multi millionaire it would be foolish not to insure something that is 194k. Tractors come in all price ranges but say you buy a new 20k tractor. After several years it is worth 10-15k. If that amount of a loss would be catastrophic to you then yes insure. If it isn't, and your risk is low then maybe don't. Some people leave their tractors at remote properties unattended. Others keep them locked inside a shop with an alarm system in their backyard. Some people have crazy terrain and the likelihood of an accident is greater than those with flat ground. Maybe flooding is a concern. Maybe it isn't. Lots of variables come into play.

I don't insure my tractor. The risk of something happening to it and the cost to replace it if something did don't scare me. I do have an inland marine policy with over a million in listed items that I do worry about because of their cost, and the fact they travel to remote locations.

Good points.

So, if I have a $10K tractor that I can afford to replace and a $6K tractor that I can afford to replace and a $20K truck that I can afford to replace, and a $25K Jeep that I can afford to replace and a $15K Jeep that I can afford to replace and $10K of ATVs that I can afford to replace and $50K of tools that I can afford to replace and a $50K building that I can afford to replace all parked in the same spot should I insure them all or just selectively? :)

/ when to let go of tractor insurance #73  
I learned in Vietnam to disperse your assets. In my world today they are consolidated. Makes me vulnerable to catastrophic loss. To say I canafford to lose an individual item that is collectively stored is flirting with disaster. :)

/ when to let go of tractor insurance #74  
Good points.

So, if I have a $10K tractor that I can afford to replace and a $6K tractor that I can afford to replace and a $20K truck that I can afford to replace, and a $25K Jeep that I can afford to replace and a $15K Jeep that I can afford to replace and $10K of ATVs that I can afford to replace and $50K of tools that I can afford to replace and a $50K building that I can afford to replace all parked in the same spot should I insure them all or just selectively? :)

Good point. If they are all in one shop and it burns you are screwed. I am one of those people who didn’t build a large enough shop in the beginning. Aside from my garage I have three shops and three lean-tos at my place. The odds of something happening to everything are low. Please don’t misunderstand me I am not against insurance, I just like to evaluate the costs and risks relative to my financial situation. Heck with my small business, rent houses, and personal policies I spend over 25k a year on insurance. My house and all my vehicles are paid for yet I maintain full coverage on all of them. To me the cost is worth it. Cars get wrecked and stolen all the time. My tractor I don’t insure.

I suspect many on this forum own tractors that are way out of line in my opinion with their total financial picture and thus insuring them makes sense. By that I mean unless you are using your tractor to make a living I think spending more than 2-3 months income on a tractor is nuts. My tractor is nearly 40 years old and cost less than a months income. If it exploded tomorrow it would suck but it wouldn’t seriously impact my life.

/ when to let go of tractor insurance #75  
I have not read all the posts on this; but, on the OPs original question; I have always carried casualty insurance on stuff as long as their $ value exceeds what I believe unreasonable for me to assimilate. This will vary by personal preferenes and finances. I have a 1994 pickup worth about $1K. I stopped carrarying casualty insurance once the value dropped to $5K. Liability and PD are a whole different exposure and not related to this discussion.

Ron

/ when to let go of tractor insurance #76  
Same company as your home, property, vehicle and life insurance to obtain the discounts .

/ when to let go of tractor insurance #77  
I would probably carry insurance on more of my things if the insurance companies were the way they were 30 years ago, before they all turned into banks and got greedy. Some things were so cheap to insure that it wasen't even a consideration I just did it, now its gotten so complicated and with all the exclusions it's not even worth it most of the time in my case.