When your CPA screws up?

/ When your CPA screws up? #11  
CPA short explanation is the amended return has not caught up with with the original return…

It does seem e-filing hasn’t helped.

The notice has no IRS agent name who sent it or to contact if you dispute…

Notice is pay amount billed or contact if there is a hardship paying.

I’m guessing paying under protest isn’t a good option?

I wouldn’t pay - assuming you are right and no monies are owed.

I think your CPA is correct.

If this bothers you, getting a tax lawyer will help move the process.

/ When your CPA screws up?
It does bother but it’s a character flaw I have… needing to make sure I’m always squared away…

I paid AZ $131 in tax, fees and interest last year AZ was not entitled because my county was declared a Federal disaster area and granted Federal Income Tax extension and AZ tax code recognizes and accepts this so I was not late but every 10 to 14 days I would receive a computer generated notice for late file and interest.

The late file and interest was greater than tax owed of $65 owed plus CPA charged $200 to file AZ… so that $65 cost me $366 for CPA, late file and interest and then I get overpayment check of $1.31 back… I framed it on the office wall!

Last edited:
   / When your CPA screws up? #13  
It does bother but it’s a character flaw I have… needing to make sure I’m always squared away…

I paid AZ $131 in tax, fees and interest last year AZ was not entitled because my county was declared a Federal disaster area and granted Federal Income Tax extension and AZ tax code recognizes and accepts this so I was not late but every 10 to 14 days I would receive a computer generated notice for late file and interest.

The late file and interest was greater than tax owed of $65 owed plus CPA charged $200 to file AZ… so that $65 cost me $366 for CPA, late file and interest and then I get overpayment check of $1.31 back… I framed it on the office wall!

I’m very much like you in that regard. It’s an admirable trait.

But, when dealing with the IRS, giving them money they do not deserve - due their own internal mistakes - is not a winning strategy.

Once you prove you are right, it will still take many many many months to get a refund.

/ When your CPA screws up? #14  
It's the CPA screwup. The CPA likely has errors and omissions insurance.

Can you toss it back in the lap of the CPA to resolve, either by paying what is due, or investing their effort to seek and claim a hardship exemption? If you have not yet done so, you can give a limited power of attorney that authorizes your CPA to waste their time on your behalf so you don't have to.

/ When your CPA screws up? #15  
I would also include a copy of the amended return.

I wouldn’t, just because that could confuse the whole issue. They might think it’s a “new” amended return.

Just state as part of the facts that an amended return was filed, and just include proof of filing.

/ When your CPA screws up? #16  
The gummit ALWAYS wants their 'pound of flesh' and usually more it seems. In reality we are literally taxed to death in this country and Federal tax laws are very hard to interpret in the first place.

Never had the issues the OP discusses and don't want them either and why we retain a top tier accountant /CPA to handle that stuff for us. Money well spent in my view.

Far as I'm concerned, we should pay a simple flat tax and eliminate all the tax codes and complex rules and regulations.

In reality, in my opinion, there should be no taxes at all as the government is supposed to be here to help you, not relieve you of your money, not like they are at all fiscally responsible because they aren't and never have been that I can remember and it's getting worse and worse, not better.

My ongoing philosophy about government is...

They make no tangible product, they are the largest employer and they exhibit no fiscal responsibility in spending your money, simply because they didn't earn it in the first place.

I find it sadly amazing that politicians pizz away money like it's going out of style, especially this administration. Just the interest on the National debt is eating them up but they don't seem to care and why should they, it's not their money in the first place.

CPA responded this morning…

It appears amended tax return not matched with original.

You need to call them.

Last edited:
   / When your CPA screws up? #18  
CPA responded this morning…

It appears that IRS has not matched the amended tax return with your original.

You need to call them.
I would tell them that they need to call to correct their mistake. You can spend as much as 2 hours on hold, waiting to talk to somebody. If they refuse, start looking for a new CPA. I highly doubt they are the only game in town.

Since 1985 with the firm but ownership changed 2005…

I spend $1200-$1500 for personal return these days…

Brothers use a CPA Tax Lawyer and it costs more and he has made mistakes but fully took care of it…

Maybe time to switch…

Partnership is about $800 per month…

/ When your CPA screws up? #20  
In my one experience at problem-solving with the IRS, written communication was futile. I received a response thanking me for the information I provided, along with the reassertion that I owed them XXX, which I didn't.

It was a hassle to get someone on the phone, but once I did, they cleared it up.

I'm also not following why the CPA wouldn't call them, but I suspect that someone needs to. Personally, I wouldn't send them money with the thought that I'll get it back later. Good luck.