Where are all my birds?

/ Where are all my birds? #51  
Almost no birds at all for some reason all spring, summer and fall this year. Then a few weeks ago they started arriving, now I'm got hundreds hanging around my feeders and I'm wondering where they all came from all of a sudden. Wonder if it is due to the change in the weather - it was very dry and warm all year till just recently. Now temperatures are not getting out of the 20s and snow is falling every day.

/ Where are all my birds? #52  
Going through an average of 250lbs each week of bird feed. Squirrels and lots of rabbits are now joining in on the buffet from the ground feeders. Got 18 feeders reloaded this morning, and almost all is gone by evening. Nobody, birds, Squirrels and even the rabbits are showing any fear when I walk nearby, indicating they are all so very hungry, their need for food outweighs their fear of man.

/ Where are all my birds? #53  
Going through an average of 250lbs each week of bird feed. Squirrels and lots of rabbits are now joining in on the buffet from the ground feeders. Got 18 feeders reloaded this morning, and almost all is gone by evening. Nobody, birds, Squirrels and even the rabbits are showing any fear when I walk nearby, indicating they are all so very hungry, their need for food outweighs their fear of man.
They know a food bucket when they see one. When you are out a lot, you become one more species in the landscape. When I bought this place, one of the first things I did was plant 14,000 fir seedlings by hand. After a couple of weeks, the wildlife ignored me.

/ Where are all my birds? #54  
The circle of life. Putting out bird feeders artificially increases the numbers of certain birds. It also brings them into closer proximity with each other. Mother Nature has a way of returning things to a balance. More predators. More disease spread.

My parents feed birds, too. I never understood it. Get some binoculars and/or a good camera and walk in nature. If you just want to see birds up close, go to an aviary or from your living room, watch a bird video.

Humans are strange animals. The hubris that we have assuming that the critters would all die if we didn't feed them. Don't get me wrong, I like songbirds just fine...I just let wild critters eat what nature provides.

/ Where are all my birds? #55  
Next spring check out how many birds are in the fields after the seeders have freshly planted the neonicotinoid coated seeds.

/ Where are all my birds? #56  
The circle of life. Putting out bird feeders artificially increases the numbers of certain birds. It also brings them into closer proximity with each other. Mother Nature has a way of returning things to a balance. More predators. More disease spread.

My parents feed birds, too. I never understood it. Get some binoculars and/or a good camera and walk in nature. If you just want to see birds up close, go to an aviary or from your living room, watch a bird video.

Humans are strange animals. The hubris that we have assuming that the critters would all die if we didn't feed them. Don't get me wrong, I like songbirds just fine...I just let wild critters eat what nature provides.
I agree with you to a point. We do have a couple feeders, and enjoy watching the birds come to it but don't overdo it. I don't go thru anywhere near the feed some of you here do...I might use a 50lb of sunflower seed in a winter, rarely more. Feeders come down end of March and don't go back up until the bears are in hibernation in the late fall.
We have a neighbor who gets waay more into bird feeding. She puts seed on the ground for the wild turkeys. Of course then they come over here and scratch MY yard all up too. *&%^# turkeys.

Speaking of turkeys, we noticed this year a couple that were limping. One's foot was all black & nasty looking. Wife called fish & game thinking there might be some sort of disease causing this. An agent came by, said all he could think was that they might have fallen out of a tree & injured their foot. Never seen this before.

/ Where are all my birds?
Back to about 10--12 pairs of Cardinals.

Seed is nuts though, but picked up some more suet today.

/ Where are all my birds? #58  
Seed is nuts
You are right, yet it takes a long time for the seed to grow a tree mature enough to produce another nut/seed... Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)
I put out a bird feeder years ago so that my dog could watch them while I was gone. She almost destroyed the window trying to get at them. Houdini that she was, I'm lucky that she didn't just unlock the sash and raise it. 😆

Now, with all of the avian disease I want them as far away from my flock as possible. My entire strategy for the last 10+ years has been based on free ranging poultry, and I can't afford to have Avian Flu wipe everything out.