Where are all my birds?

/ Where are all my birds? #42  
In the last few days we have seen lots of "summer" birds fly through here. Robins, red winged blackbirds, yellow finch, and some cardinals are showing up. The birds eat like crazy at the feeder and then they are gone....strange. I'm wondering if the drought here pushed the birds more north and now that winter is coming, they are racing to head south?

/ Where are all my birds?
Saw the first flock of Geese a while ago. Heard 'em first of course.

/ Where are all my birds?
I'm wondering if the drought here pushed the birds more north and now that winter is coming, they are racing to head south?
There might be something to that. I'm back to 4 pair of Cardinals, some Bluejays, Woodpeckers and a bunch of smaller grey and brown varieties.

/ Where are all my birds? #45  
We too, here in TN are getting a few back as well that had been totally missing for a couple of months. Cardinals, wrens, chickadees, finches all coming back in smaller numbers. Mourning doves and blue jays are the only ones that hadn't gone missing the past couple of months.

/ Where are all my birds? #46  
Well lots of bird activity today in Texas. Suddenly a flock of perhaps over fifty Blue Jay's and even some Cardinals showed up today. Emptying my fourteen feeders in record time. Refilled after lunch, and everything was gone in under an hour. I guess long range migration makes for hungry birds. If you watch them closely, they have sentries out, and take turns feeding. My cat, returning to the barn, passed the line of feeders and was swooped by some diving Blue Jay's. He took of running away at full speed, which was the desired outcome by the Blue Jays.

These birds are definitely on migration. And will hang around for a few days at my feeders before moving on. But they seem to be showing up here in Texas, about 2 or 3 weeks later this year.

Last edited:
   / Where are all my birds? #47  
A whole mob of sparrows stayed for 2 days and are now gone. We will have nice weather next week which will allow more time for our bird friends to get out of the cold zones. I'm expecting with the snow north of me, it will help push them south.

/ Where are all my birds? #48  
These birds are definitely on migration. And will hang around for a few days at my feeders before moving on. But they seem to be showing up here in Texas, about 2 or 3 weeks later this year.
Didn't know jays or cardinals migrated. Only see cardinals here in the winter, but jays are year round.

Finally put up the feeders the weekend before Thanksgiving once I was pretty sure the bears were all in hibernation. Other than a couple woodpeckers and a few chickadees didn't really start getting any birds until this week. Not as many as some years, but in the past couple days I've seen juncos, nuthatches and finches in addition to the chickadees & woodpeckers. Well, that and a gazillion turkeys.

/ Where are all my birds? #49  
A flock of about 50 doves launched from trees over my head yesterday. I was startled. It was like thunder! Birds at the feeder are going through about 3 lbs. of food a day. They seem to eat in shifts. I mix a variety of seeds, from sunflower and peanut down to nyjer thistle, and each species cleans up their favorite.