Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020

/ Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020 #11  
Could it be a fusible link? Just guessing here.

/ Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020 #12  
Well, I'm about out of bad ideas.:eek: They sure have done a good job of hiding things on that tractor.

/ Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020
I'll find it, and hopefully the relays too.
This tractor has a large steel pan in the driver area covered by a heavy molded rubber mat that is pinned down by having dimples molded in the bottom that are forced down into holes during assembly. The floor is the same as if there were a cab. Most of the wiring from the rear ends up being hid from view under the floor. The dealer pulled an edge of the mat to show me the steel plate construction before purchase and that part has never been able to be repinned properly, so I don't want to pull the mat up.
The book is written for 4020, 4030, 4040, and 4050 and probably was a translation from the European version. You can see by the attached that it is not trustworthy as far as the electrical descriptions.
They say 3 power sockets but only describe 2. There is a 3rd, a miniature cigar lighter type, on the cover for the lift control handles. With the Array of things sharing fuses and having descriptions such as, "+ key and various supply" in the book, I'll probably have to pull fuses and/or ring out the circuits to see where they actually go.
I do thank you for your ideas and Bob for chiming in. I was just hoping that another member that owned a 4000 series tractor would see the question and have the answer.
Lots of rain here in the Buckeye state today.
Ron

Relays found but since nothing matches owner's manual or electric cable parts sketches on New Holland site I am not sure what 2 of them control.
See pictures attached... If anybody has a clue please reply.
The mysterious 40 amp maxi fuse is in that area and I traced the wire to the 4 prong outlet on the rear of the tractor. A cable connection plug can't be seen as it is under the metal floor pan, which converts the large wire from the fuse to 2 smaller hot wires and 2 grounds. I had hoped to use an unused fuse point in the main fuse block to run my canopy lights but there is no power buss to the fuse block so my original idea of wiring from the rear plug wires to a toggle switch, relay, and the lights should be ok since they will only draw about 8 amps. I don't bale at night so the baler string motor will not be used at the same time. Since baling is always a rush to beat the weather I intend to have a spare 40 amp maxi fuse on hand.
Maybe the attached pictures will save someone a few minutes when trying to locate these devices on a similar tractor, although there doesn't seem to be a standardized layout.
Yesterday was the first day in the past 10 without rain. We are 8.5" above normal for the year. The entire country is having some type of extreme weather this year.
Thanks again for jinman's clues.
Ron

/ Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020 #15  
Ron, you get the Sherlock Holmes award for finding all the relays and wiring. In the picture with the 70A relay behind the 40A fuse, my guess is the 70 amp is a starting relay. I have a New Holland LB75B TLB that has a similar looking relay on the firewall. It energizes directly from the ignition switch and supplies power to the starter solenoid. The switch is low current, the relay medium current, and the solenoid is a high current switch.

I don't think there are a lot of 4020 owners on TBN since we are mostly compact owners, but you have certainly posted some great info for any other owner of that model tractor. As on our compacts, it sure would be nice if New Holland made an access panel that could easily be removed to get to all these "goodies." I cannot even imagine how confusing this is for a New Holland tech who works at a dealership. Even automobiles and pickups within a brand have similar locations of electrical components, but New Holland sure seems to delight in making every model different. The fact that your tractor doesn't look like the diagrams is proof that you may be the only person on the planet who knows exactly where everything is located.:)

Your tractors wouldn't be considered compacts in my book. New Holland calls mine 65 HP but the PTO power is only 50. The 4020 is still considered a "utility" tractor. The parts and lifts are actually more sturdy than an agricultural tractor since they tend to be used and abused for bigger jobs than expected.
Most of the agricultural tractors in these parts are painted green...

This is the result of my "where are the relays?" thread.
I enjoy mowing a few acres after supper all the way into dusk since it is cooler. On these newer style New Holland tractors the headlights are good unless a FEL is attached. Since I use the loader almost daily it becomes too time consuming to remove the entire loader so I hoped just removing the bucket would work but as you see in the pictures the loader frame blocks a lot of the light from going forward and unless positioned just right blocks the side lights. So my solution was to add 2- 55 watt halogen trap lights to the front of the canopy. It may be hard to see much difference in the pictures and the 1 second handheld time exposures are a bit fuzzy, but believe me, they are a vast improvement. Most of the time I don't even turn on the built in tractor lights since the $10 each trapezoidal lights give better lighting with less shadows for mowing simply because they are mounted higher. I used a little plastic project box to mount the switch, relay, and fuse. With the cover on it is well protected.
Ron

/ Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020 #18  
Nice job, Ron! From the looks of your project box, you could teach NH a thing or two about convenient layout.:thumbsup: With your fuse, switch, and relay all there in the same box, it makes for a nice compact addition. I think you'll really like having the high lights (or maybe hilites?) in addition to the low lights.:)

Thanks for the compliment. I described each photo in their names but I see that doesn't show. 1= the switch box, 2= no lights, 3= the added lights only, 4=the OEM lights, 5 and 6 show all lights.
The headlights on my 20 year old tractor were removed and loose by the dealer since the FEL on it would not allow room for them to remain in place. I mounted them on the supports for the canopy at the ROP and have used them that way with good results for 20 years except that one of them
shined in the mirror mounted at the front of the canopy. I will probably move them forward now. Never too old to learn.
Ron