Where can you buy ammo?

/ Where can you buy ammo? #21  
Agree!!! We use buckshot for coyotes and I buy cases of it for the locals when it goes on sale at Midway. 250 rounds of S&B 00 for $90 or so. It used to go on sales about twice a year. I reload and have a mold to make buckshot but will not bother if I can buy it for less than $.40/shot.

Buying anything now will force you to pay top dollar. I reload so I am not affected. But components can be difficult to get so it may not be much of an option right now. Best to think about reloading when things get back to a more normal state and plan for the next shortage. I reload for every rifle, pistol and shotgun I have.

^^ This is how you need to be thinking. Firearms and ammo go in cycles tied to the political "winds". When things are stable, the prices drop , and when thing are unstable the prices rise. Example: during the last shortage I saw bricks of 500 of .22LR going for $100 at gunshows. When the political situation stabilized those same bricks got back down to the low 20's or occasionally even lower. A far cry from ancient times when a brick was less than $10, but things do inflate with time, and not just ammo.

Reloading components and firearms themselves are tied to the same cycle of scarcity and plenty. The trick is to have plenty of the things you want stored up so you dont have to follow these imposed trends imposed by outside forces.

/ Where can you buy ammo? #22  
I too reload for everything I have except rimfire. Once I work out a load for a given firearm, I try to stock up on components for each one. Sometimes I get lucky and can use the same primer, or powder, or bullet for multiple firearms, and then I stock up double. I prefer to buy the 8 pound jugs of powder when I can find them reasonable, for example.

Seems like shotgun wads and hulls are the more difficult to find when I'm searching, but I have several buckets of the hard to find gauges (like 16 ga) on hand.

/ Where can you buy ammo? #23  
I too reload for everything I have except rimfire. Once I work out a load for a given firearm, I try to stock up on components for each one.

Sometimes I get lucky and can use the same primer, or powder, or bullet for multiple firearms,
and then I stock up double.

I prefer to buy the 8 pound jugs of powder when I can find them reasonable, for example.

I have always loaded plinking rounds for my 44 Magnum Smith 629 using "UNIQUE" powder,,

Recently, I was reading about the "best" powder for some application,, and it turned out that the consensus is that Unique could be pressed into duty to load MANY cartridges,,

I have "several" containers of Unique,, and I will be trying it in several other guns, just to see how it does,,

The 629 was always dirty after shooting 500 rounds , but, that was part of the fun,,,

My nephew gave me a 8 pound jug of 2400 to load some "high powered" rounds for his 44 Mag,,

I had some 2400 already opened, so I never opened the jug,,
BUT, I never found anything I want to shoot that works well with 2400,,, :confused2:

Some powders are universal, some are "unitaskers" ,, :confused:

/ Where can you buy ammo? #24  
If you want shotgun ammo that will really do the job, check out HEVI-Shot(R) Dead Coyote!(R) | Shotgun Loads

The tungsten T shot will punch right through 0.125 aluminum plate at 40 yards, and I have heard stories of rolling coyotes at 70 yards. I've never tried the 00 buck, but suspect it would hit really hard. Hevishot is expensive, so practice with something cheaper, and only use it when you need a kill.

I hunt geese with Hevishot. #2 brings them down.

/ Where can you buy ammo?
This is a little "off target" but may be interesting to some.
First,,,thanks so much all replies!
Growing up next door on the farm grandparents lived next door. Grandad was amazing (I'm sure we all think that), but he was a machinist, mechanical engineer, MD, D.O. & surgeon. In the 20s after mechanical engineering (grad. Carnegie Tech...now Carnegie Mellon) he got a job at Winchester Repeating Arms (Hartford Conn. If I remember right). He said they had a shot tower. As I remembered it a tower with revolving canvas disk at base. They would pour molten lead in top and as it fell formed ball shape, tumbled by canvas then dropped out by size diameter.
He said the assembly plant he noticed one guy fantastic at woodworking (I still have some of those stocks he gave me), one guy great making barrels, etc. He suggested they put in an assembly line, conveyor moved so each did their best work, at end a finished rifle. He said production really went up!
Sorry...just reminiscing.

Winchester I'm thinking New Haven, not Hartford

I'm ok with ammo now, bought from BulkAmmo.com
Good prices, fast shipping.