Where does all that grease go?

/ Where does all that grease go? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi Guys,

I have a PT425 with a 48" finish mower. I regularly grease all the various zerks on the mower, but one thing really puzzles me. When I grease the bearings for the mower, I will pump 10-15x with my manual greasegun, but I never see the grease come out anywhere! I've been doing this for a couple of years, and have probably greased the bearings at least 6 times by now. Has anyone taken these things apart to understand where all that grease goes? Inquiring minds want to know!

-Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Where does all that grease go? #2  
<font color="red">Has anyone taken these things apart to understand where all that grease goes? Inquiring minds want to know!
</font>
My theory is that when you find the grease, it will be accompanied by numerous left socks and pairs of reading glasses. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Where does all that grease go? #3  
And lots of loose change! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Where does all that grease go? #4  
Rob
I thought like the other guys that it went into that place where I have not looked yet. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

There is a thread awhile ago about some one that put a couple of shot of grease in his mower bearings. After a couple of years one of the lower bearings went bad. Found that cavity had never filled enough to get grease to lower bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Where does all that grease go? #5  
I pump mine full every 8 hours of mowing, which for me is about every 3 months. Last time I took the covers off and kept pumping until I saw grease. It was an honest 15-25 pumps before I saw anything come out the edges. I honestly don't know what the heck kind of bearings these things are, but the EAT grease! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Where does all that grease go? #6  
well my center blade zerk wasnt taking grease so i have now ordered a grease buster for it i did finally get it taking grease again but dont want to not have it full of grease while im using it