Comparison Where does the extra weight come from between the L4760 and the L5460/L6060

/ Where does the extra weight come from between the L4760 and the L5460/L6060 #1  

Grateful11

Veteran Member
Wife and son are thinking of upgrading the L3940 to the L5460 or L6060, Open Station, no Cab. They all have the same engine except the L4760 is non-turbo. The wheelbase is 0.8" of an inch longer on the 54 and 60 over the 47. The L5460 and L6060 have a Cat. II 3pt hitch. Since the 5460 and 6060 are Cat. II is the rear end housing vastly different from the L4760 and down? There's also about 5" of difference in overall length. The extra weight has to be coming from somewhere.

The weight difference is 452 lbs. That's a fairly significant difference.

Right now we're thinking Open Station, FEL, 3rd Function, one set of rear remotes fluid in rear tires and maybe 2 sets of wheel weights and maybe the vinyl air seat.

They are also having a JD 4066R quoted but since it doesn't have the 2 speed ranges in each range I don't think it going make the cut. We actually thought it had it but the dealer said not that he was aware of and had never heard of it.

BTW: the L3940 now has about 1050 hrs on it and is almost 5 years old and has been trouble free except the one thing where the glow plugs weren't working correctly from the factory. That's the only problem it's had.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/190166-maybe-we-should-have-gotten.html

/ Where does the extra weight come from between the L4760 and the L5460/L6060 #2  
since your looking at making a pretty big jump in tractors i would look at the 7060.1 your getting alot hp.2 your getting a bigger tractor.3 your getting a heavier tractor.plus for added weight you can get cast wheels on the rear.wheel weights will cost you like $1.50 to $2 a lb.

/ Where does the extra weight come from between the L4760 and the L5460/L6060 #3  
Don't have a clue on the weight difference, but highly recommend the wheel weights and air ride seat, my L5740 is much more comfortable and has better traction and stability with the addition of them. I went with three rear remotes as I like the TnT and I have a box scraper with hydraulic rippers.

/ Where does the extra weight come from between the L4760 and the L5460/L6060
since your looking at making a pretty big jump in tractors i would look at the 7060.1 your getting alot hp.2 your getting a bigger tractor.3 your getting a heavier tractor.plus for added weight you can get cast wheels on the rear.wheel weights will cost you like $1.50 to $2 a lb.

This has to be a tractor that can maneuver in and out and around on a tight cattle feed lot for 40 head of breeding stock. Power reverser just won't cut it for what we need. Everyone likes the Hydro, it's so easy to operate in tight places. Thanks for the option on buying ;-)

/ Where does the extra weight come from between the L4760 and the L5460/L6060 #5  
I think the added weight is the front differential and larger tires and wheels.At least that's what my dealer told me when I was comparing the L3940 to a L4240.

/ Where does the extra weight come from between the L4760 and the L5460/L6060
We talked to Kubota at the farm show in Raleigh last week and the Rep. was like, "uh, uh, uh, uh" until one of the biggest dealer owners in NC walked up and the Rep said, "where does the extra weight come in from the 4760 to 5460/6060?" The dealer owner, whom I know fairly well so I won't mention any names said, "he thought it was coming from a very slightly different frame and rear end" He said the wheelbase is slightly longer and the rear end is built slightly different to handle Cat. 2, 3 point implements.

There's about an inch difference in the wheelbase and the lift arms are much larger on the L5460 and L6060.

Now I did looked at the back of the brochure we picked up at the local dealer and noticed it was printed in 2013. If you look the Specs. in pdf form from Kubota's website the weights are vastly different from the brochure I picked up. It says the L4760 Open Station weighs 3847 lbs. and the L5460/L6060 both weigh 3990 lbs. So if that's right there's not much difference in weights of the 3 models. The big difference is non-turbo on the L4760 vs. turbo on the L5460/L6060, slightly longer wheelbase and the L4760 is strictly Cat. 1 only on the 3 point hitch.

On the brochure difference we also picked up a JD 4 series brochure and the 4066R was listed at something like 3060 lbs and thought wow that a big difference in weights from the Kubota but there again if you go to JD and look at the specs. all the 4000M & R series Open station tractors weigh 3770 lbs.

They had an L6060 cab tractor at the show, my son got in it and said it was nice but when you're shopping for an Open-station sitting in a cab model doesn't help you make a decision any easier ;-)