Where is your utopia

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Where is your utopia #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
We began looking at property the last couple months. Looked in Northern Fla and a little bit in S Carolina as well as northern GA. We are looking for somewhere that has relatively "warm" winters ...no snow..and I can deal with the summer heat with no problems. We are looking for a area that the local govt is not hammering home owners on taxes, has a low crime rate and low traffic. ...any good areas come to mind ?

/ Where is your utopia #2  
West Virginia ...

/ Where is your utopia #3  
Florida
No state tax
Plenty of cheap land, especially if you want a farm
Warm winters
Drive to the Keys for vacations. Im there now. Beautiful :thumbsup:
Hope to be there more

/ Where is your utopia #4  
I'm in Florida now as well. You couldn't pay me to live here. Too flat, too many people, too much traffic, too bloody hot. So, to make you Florida lovers happy, I promise to stay in the Blue Ridge Mountains. No problem....

/ Where is your utopia #5  
Seriously though. We looked in 8 states before we went to SW Viginia. Low taxes, low cost of living, reasonable cost of housing and land; not to mention, drop dead gorgeous country.

/ Where is your utopia #6  
My Utopia - right here where I have - 80 acres, 5 acre lake, wonderful house, four seasons. Oh, and BTW - NO NEIGHBORS.

/ Where is your utopia #7  
N. FL is nice in the country. Crime rate in the cities is not so great but get a few acres in the country and put a gate on it you are safe enough. When my property was more accessible and I was working all day I had one break in of my shed in the mid 80s. Never had a problem since then and now I'm home most of the time and have the property gated I don't for see any.

Government issues vary from county to county. I hear people complain all the time about building permitting in Leon County. Their comprehensive plan is pretty restrictive. Once you get past that and settle in it's not so bad. Neighboring counties like Jefferson may be better in those respects.

We are right near the GA FL line so we do a fair amount of business in GA.

/ Where is your utopia #8  
Like oosik, but in NE MS.
70 acres at the house, another 400 in the county. Temps get up to mid to high 90's for a few weeks, but RARELY have had the occasion to use a snow shovel in 10 years. And the topography is low rolling hills.
As far as crime rate mostly limited to towns/cities. And traffic! The worst is getting stuck behind a rare tractor on the road.

You should also ask about the downsides to a place - MS has had a pretty poor education system and it's evident at the local stores. I had a clerk ask me where I'm from and when I said "Vermont" she asked what state is Vermont in. Not a place to raise children and rely on the local education system.

And they are talking about legalizing beer.
A new law allowing the possession of alcohol in every county in Mississippi was signed into law by Gov. Tate Reeves on Tuesday. It will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2021.

/ Where is your utopia
N. FL is nice in the country. Crime rate in the cities is not so great but get a few acres in the country and put a gate on it you are safe enough. When my property was more accessible and I was working all day I had one break in of my shed in the mid 80s. Never had a problem since then and now I'm home most of the time and have the property gated I don't for see any.

Government issues vary from county to county. I hear people complain all the time about building permitting in Leon County. Their comprehensive plan is pretty restrictive. Once you get past that and settle in it's not so bad. Neighboring counties like Jefferson may be better in those respects.

We are right near the GA FL line so we do a fair amount of business in GA.

We were just a little south of Flagler last week. Its still fairly rural there and traffic is not terrible. I looked at a few properties that were 10 acres +/- but felt they were over priced. They were about 3 miles or so from from the coast.It probably comes with the territory but snakes, gators and other large spider looking things appear to be the norm in the "woods' of Florida and GA

Status
Not open for further replies.