Where Oh Where Do The OP's Go?

/ Where Oh Where Do The OP's Go? #31  
Forums, unfortunately, seem to have been on the decline for a while; it's unfortunate, as I've been a fan of them since I was a teenager.

As for Facebook, I actually got rid of mine 2 or 3 years ago, but the missus is always on it. Nice to see they're losing more customer base, I like that.
TBN seems to be one of the few forums I'm on with a large number of active members. Others (and on other interests) seem to be a small core of members.

Never did Facebook myself, but while they might be yesterday's news to younger people, they still have hundreds of millions of members, whatever decline they're seeing is a drop in the bucket.

/ Where Oh Where Do The OP's Go? #32  
I have joined other forums after this one, but this is by far my favorite. At least when the 1 or 2 posts from the person that does not come back, we keep the thread going even after. I enjoy it and it also gives the person who will never write in to get insight on the topic.

If there was no 1 or 2 post and never come back/respond, it would give us less new posts to respond too and discuss.

And we all know how much some of us want to respond to posts to give our 2 cents worth!!! Lots of Good/Bad/Indifferent Opinions that EVERYONE loves. :love:

/ Where Oh Where Do The OP's Go?
Wow! Looks like I kind of struck a nerve. Lots of good thoughtful responses.

I worked part time as a marine mechanic and was trained as an aircraft mechanic. In my time there were no computers to give you a trouble code and good troubleshooting really came down to the ability to remember what you had seen before that matched or at least came close to what you saw now and then try to apply what worked before. Basically experience in the trade.

I look for someone to reply about what worked to fix their problem so I can add it to my personal data base aka memory about what to do the next time a similar problem pops up.

As for being embarrassed by finding out the problem was something stupid you did; get over it! I've done enough stupid stuff in my life to fill a book and I'm not afraid to admit it if I think my tale will help to keep someone from doing the same thing. The only person who doesn't make mistakes is either a liar or never gets off the couch.

/ Where Oh Where Do The OP's Go? #34  

Attachments

• stir the pot.gif
    stir the pot.gif
    624.4 KB · Views: 49
   / Where Oh Where Do The OP's Go? #35  
There's another type that always come back to let us know how it turned out but still trips some triggers.
Guy says his tractor won't crank and after extracting more information, turns out it cranks fine but never starts. All of us make mistakes so things move forward. More extracted info reveals type tractor and diesel fueled. After three days of suggestions to which op's response is "already tried that,,,,,three times" and still not even a puff of smoke or hint of starting. Naturally everyone want's to make sure fuel is reaching injectors so that is covered and recovered but op keeps insisting fuel squirt's to the roof from ever line when loosened. After everone is out of ideas,the guy says his brother poured 5 gallons of fuel in it and now it's running just fine.
A bad battery or cable can keep everone chasing their tails indefinitely before it gets replaced.

/ Where Oh Where Do The OP's Go? #36  
Example:

/ Where Oh Where Do The OP's Go? #37  
There's another type that always come back to let us know how it turned out but still trips some triggers.
Guy says his tractor won't crank and after extracting more information, turns out it cranks fine but never starts. All of us make mistakes so things move forward. More extracted info reveals type tractor and diesel fueled. After three days of suggestions to which op's response is "already tried that,,,,,three times" and still not even a puff of smoke or hint of starting. Naturally everyone want's to make sure fuel is reaching injectors so that is covered and recovered but op keeps insisting fuel squirt's to the roof from ever line when loosened. After everone is out of ideas,the guy says his brother poured 5 gallons of fuel in it and now it's running just fine.
A bad battery or cable can keep everone chasing their tails indefinitely before it gets replaced.
The turn over but won't start is a huge pet peeve of mine. I'm in charge of the shop and service.

If I got a dollar for everytime someone in the office comes to me and says "Hey, can you call this guy..... his equipment won't crank????"

I could retire

And most of it is our salesman saying it to me.

Next thing out of my mouth is "Does it turn over but not start????"

"Yeah..... it won't crank". I then point out that yes. It does crank if it's turning over. It's not starting.

/ Where Oh Where Do The OP's Go? #38  
The turn over but won't start is a huge pet peeve of mine. I'm in charge of the shop and service.

If I got a dollar for everytime someone in the office comes to me and says "Hey, can you call this guy..... his equipment won't crank????"

I could retire

And most of it is our salesman saying it to me.

Next thing out of my mouth is "Does it turn over but not start????"

"Yeah..... it won't crank". I then point out that yes. It does crank if it's turning over. It's not starting.
So... two years later you ask if there is air in the tires & expect a reply?
That seems to happen on most forums a lot.

/ Where Oh Where Do The OP's Go? #39  
So... two years later you ask if there is air in the tires & expect a reply?
That seems to happen on most forums a lot.
That's someone scrolling down through and not paying attention to when someone last posted to the thread.

Happens often, and usually it's someone new to forums.

/ Where Oh Where Do The OP's Go? #40  
I have always gotten good responses from my questions and comments. And I do try to follow up with what the solution was for my particular issue. Every once in awhile I get a smart-ass remark, but hey I just let it roll off of me.

quote from Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) “I used to worry about what others thought of me until I realized how little they did”