Where to connect the battery breakaway cable?

/ Where to connect the battery breakaway cable? #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
Where is the best/easiest/legal place to connect the cable for the battery breakaway on a trailer? The DOT in my area received some federal grant money for a safety program and is cracking down anyone hauling with trucks or trailers. One guy was fined for the plastic coating missing on the cable for his breakaway battery. :( I don't even know if the battery on my trailer is any good. I heard it was a $250 fine if the brakes fail to lock if they pull the breakaway cable.

/ Where to connect the battery breakaway cable? #2  
If you want the technically correct and legal way......

The "hitch" must be used to secure the towing unit to the towed unit and nothing more.

The "safety chains" MUST NOT be connected to the "hitch", but to the FRAME on both the towing and towed units and must be capable of holding the weight of the towed unit plus any load placed upon it off the ground should the "hitch" fail.

The "emergency brake" cable must be attached to the frame of the towing vehicle (some states consider the receiver portion of a "hitch" which is rigidly bolted to the frame of the towing vehicle to be a continuation of the frame, others do not). The "emergency brake" must be able to "hold" the towed unit, from a stop, on a 7% grade (that's STEEP) for two minutes. It is often provided that the "brake away" switch must be mounted to the "frame" of the towed unit.

/ Where to connect the battery breakaway cable? #3  
I would agree 100% with Mod Mech but I have always been told that the brake-away must hold the brakes for 15 minutes, not 2.

Other than that he is point on.

Chris

/ Where to connect the battery breakaway cable? #4  
Where is the best/easiest/legal place to connect the cable for the battery breakaway on a trailer? The DOT in my area received some federal grant money for a safety program and is cracking down anyone hauling with trucks or trailers. One guy was fined for the plastic coating missing on the cable for his breakaway battery. :( I don't even know if the battery on my trailer is any good. I heard it was a $250 fine if the brakes fail to lock if they pull the breakaway cable.

I cannot imagine what legal requirement there is for the plastic coating on the breakaway cable...I'd like to see it if anyone knows of it.

Electric brakes often will not lock on a perfectly functioning loaded trailer, I'd also like to see that reg somewhere in writing.

This is from Dexter Axle website-

"BRAKES - Why can't I lock and slide my electric brakes?
On an unloaded trailer, you may be able to lock up your brakes if your electric brake controller is supplying full amperage to the brakes. When loaded to capacity, you may not be able to lock your brakes as electric brakes are designed to slow the trailer at a controlled rate, and not designed to lock up the wheels on a fully loaded trailer. Our brakes are designed to meet all applicable safety standards. All of our brakes will perform better after numerous burnish stops to seat the brake linings to the drums."

I'm hoping you are hearing some "urban legends";)

/ Where to connect the battery breakaway cable? #5  
I would agree 100% with Mod Mech but I have always been told that the brake-away must hold the brakes for 15 minutes, not 2.

Other than that he is point on.

Chris

According to federal regs (49CFR393.43) it is 15 minutes and no slope required.

/ Where to connect the battery breakaway cable? #6  
I cannot imagine what legal requirement there is for the plastic coating on the breakaway cable...I'd like to see it if anyone knows of it.

Electric brakes often will not lock on a perfectly functioning loaded trailer, I'd also like to see that reg somewhere in writing.

This is from Dexter Axle website-

"BRAKES - Why can't I lock and slide my electric brakes?
On an unloaded trailer, you may be able to lock up your brakes if your electric brake controller is supplying full amperage to the brakes. When loaded to capacity, you may not be able to lock your brakes as electric brakes are designed to slow the trailer at a controlled rate, and not designed to lock up the wheels on a fully loaded trailer. Our brakes are designed to meet all applicable safety standards. All of our brakes will perform better after numerous burnish stops to seat the brake linings to the drums."

I'm hoping you are hearing some "urban legends";)
I'd like to see them fail the breakaway cable on our trailer for the lack of plastic. It is stainless steel and doesn't need it. Most of the cables I've seen that were plastic coated also were rusting.

As for the brakes, there is a Fed requirement for time and also how quick the brakes on both the towing and towed vehicles must stop them from a set speed.

I carry a spare cable and plug for use in an emergency but the stainless cabled one is the one that is always on it.

/ Where to connect the battery breakaway cable? #7  
What I was told is that the breakaway cable "should" be hooked to something else other then the hitch. that way if the hitch falls off and safety chains is hooked onto the hitch portion anyways. For example, my blazer has a hole for saftey chains if you are using the bumper portion as a hitch so I connect the breakaway cable on that since I have another hitch installed of better quality. this was if hitch falls off and saftey chains feature fails, the bumper is still attached so breakaway cable still functions.

/ Where to connect the battery breakaway cable? #8  
I forgot to add thata maybe it should be plastic coated for corrosion from salt in north and near salt water?

/ Where to connect the battery breakaway cable? #9  
I forgot to add thata maybe it should be plastic coated for corrosion from salt in north and near salt water?

I agree- the plastic coating is perhaps a good idea....but being fined for not having it? :confused2:

But then again I've seen that coating degrade over time, cracking and trapping moisture in that then corrodes the cable worse than if it was bare...SS is the way to go.

/ Where to connect the battery breakaway cable? #10  
A friend had his frame rust and drop the hitch. Fortunately, he was going slow and slightly downhill. Another mile and he would have been going UP a big hill on US 68 :(

I put my break away cable around the bumper. At least it's totally independent of the hitch.

Ken