Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches

/ Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches #1  

sd455dan

Tractor
Rhino 554, Ford 550 TLB (JD X500, MTD, Gilson riding mowers) Ford 3000-Sold
Another dig it quick job had to be done and I have not fixed everything that probably needs it on my new to me Ford 550 backhoe.
Got about 3 hours of digging done today, when the main boom cylinder hose let loose.
I hot footed the tractor home

I just got the backhoe maintenance manuals and they mention slim wrenches to R+R hydraulic lines.
So far not really finding a set designed for close spaced hydraulic lines.

Maybe just have to purchase a Jumbo set and grind off what it takes to fit in the valve body area.??

Anyone have some insights?

Last edited:
   / Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches
Thank You

That looks like what is needed.
I had some cheap Cummins jumbo wrenches and sure enough deformed when trying to loosen the 1st connection using pipe as a cheater bars over the wrenches.

I need to check through some inherited tools first, but if that does not pan out . I will be getting a set of Service wrenches

Thinking may have to apply some heat as well,

Previous owner Really cranked them down....

/ Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches #4  
In a pinch you can do just what you said take an old crape wrench and grind it down. I always keep garbage sockets and wrenches for making custom tools, thin wall sockets, flat wrenches, offset wrenches etc. Motorcycle wrenches are great for that. old dirt bikes came with a tool kit of a few flat wrenches I always keep for just that purpose. 🍻

/ Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches #5  
I still have a 5/8" wrench that I took almost half of the jaw thickness off with a surface grinder for a specialized job. Took longer to do the wrench than the job took!
David from jax

/ Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches #7  
I have HF's version of the service wrenches - I also have a couple sets of thin wrenches by V8 tools - they're OK, but the HF service wrench set (same sizes) is less than HALF the price of the V8's - add to that crowfoot wrenches in open end, flare nut end, open end dual angle end wrenches, super thin end wrenches, etc, and my conclusion is that if you want an excuse to look like a tool ****, just buy an older full size backhoe - :rolleyes:

Oh, forgot to mention - even my combo wrenches now go from ignition size up to over 2" - I finally gave up and now have a separate "tractor" 42" top and bottom just for 3/4 and 1" drive, end wrenches either "special" and/or over 1-1/4", etc... Steve

/ Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches #8  
If you need a tool once you'll need it again. Sometimes just to fix the screw ups from the first use.

/ Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches #9  
Not sure which wrench set your needing. For undoing most lines I like a regular open end crowfoot. It gives you the ability to use extensions to reach up into areas to get to hoses. On a 550 Backhoe I had to replace the main pressure line and it is way up in the frame, I used a extension with a crowsfoot so I could put the breaker bar below the machine to get more pressure on it, then used a wrench shoved through a hole to hold the other hose to break the joints. Something like below is nice, and they are affordable enough.

If you are working on lines on the valve and clearance is an issue a 12pt flare crowfoot is great. They are expensive so only get the sizes you need. However the are the best thing for working on lines going into valve, or distribution blocks. They are thin so do not put too much pressure on them. Proto, Williams, Wright, and Martin all make the 12pt Flare Crowfoot. Below is an example

I have not found much need for service aka pump aka jam nut wrenches when working on hydraulics. They are good for small nuts like jam nuts, however they are not as handy as you might think. I have the harbor freight set and can recomend that you do not get it. The heads vary in size and some are darned thick for being a service wrench. Some heads are wider than the size larger. The outside of the wrench in the smaller sizes is not much more compact than a traditional combination wrench.

I recommend getting the Urrea, they are a Mexican tool company and their quality is darned good. The set below is what I use. However I have not had a need for it when working on hydraulics.

/ Where to find Ford Backhoe 'Slim line' hydraulic fitting wrenches
I have HF's version of the service wrenches - I also have a couple sets of thin wrenches by V8 tools - they're OK, but the HF service wrench set (same sizes) is less than HALF the price of the V8's - add to that crowfoot wrenches in open end, flare nut end, open end dual angle end wrenches, super thin end wrenches, etc, and my conclusion is that if you want an excuse to look like a tool ****, just buy an older full size backhoe - :rolleyes:

Oh, forgot to mention - even my combo wrenches now go from ignition size up to over 2" - I finally gave up and now have a separate "tractor" 42" top and bottom just for 3/4 and 1" drive, end wrenches either "special" and/or over 1-1/4", etc... Steve
Starting to see what you mean.

I already laid out some coin for a 48 inch pipe wrench for some of the gland nuts on cylinders that will need repacking. Then barely got the lug nuts off of just a front tire to replace a ram tie rod end. Figured the back lug nuts are more than my aircat 1/2 inch could handle so just ordered and received a 1 inch drive air impact since the rear lugs are supposed to be cranked to almost 500 lb ft.

At least I lucked out on not needing to remove the backhoe itself.

I did buy a set of the SAE and metric HF service wrenches and Lifetime Pittsburg better quality than the "Cummins Tools" large wrenches. I wanted to get the machine back up quickly.

Used some heat and lots of PB Blaster and finally got the lift cylinder lines off. Decided to do both lift cylinder lines.

Our local semi, machine and Gear shop made up some new Parker 4 wire hoses. Total price for 2 $222. I said maybe I should have bought a newer backhoe so the hoses would have been in better shape. He said you made an OK choice. Some of these newer metric backhoe fittings are Way more expensive than the old SAE stuff.
I brought the hoses inside so they will stay warmer and will put them in front of a heater before installing them tomorrow.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hopefully be up and running again sometime tomorrow.

ps. Still Very happy with this Old Ford 550. Where I was digging Is rocky and I came really close to buying a slightly used JD 448 add on backhoe for a 40 HP JD compact tractor, I was going to modify it to fit my 55 hp Rhino tractor.

Really Glad I just bought an industrial backhoe. No need to switch back and forth to be able to use a box blade or backhoe and now have a back up tractor.

Last edited: