Where to find long term weather/climate forecasts

/ Where to find long term weather/climate forecasts #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
My friend manages a large ranch and has a big hay operation. He was asking about a good source for very long term weather forecasting, such as climactic patterns, jet stream variations, etc. Any ideas?

/ Where to find long term weather/climate forecasts #2  
Looks like two different questions Mike. For historical climatic patterns the National Weather Service and NOAA maintain a tremendous amount of data going back to recorded time (weatherwise anyway). I don't have a site marked but search for NWS or NOAA weather data.

For jet stream information, if I read your question right, I'd stick with Weather.com or Intellicast where the pro meteorologists have used the jet stream info along with everything else to do the local forecasts. I doubt any of us can do as well as them, in spite of what we may say about their forecast reliability /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Where to find long term weather/climate forecasts #3  
That's a tough one. The commerical weather sites (www.weather.com, www.intellicast.com, etc.) can be vague and noncommital in their information.

Intellicast is much better than weather.com IMO.

The NOAA seems to be the best FREE source.

If I had property and dollars that are weather dependent for security, I would also look into aviation weather sources. They are very technical but supply state of the art information and it's near real time - all for obvious reasons.

When I was learning to fly years ago, I decided to take a course in meteorology. The instructor informed me that TV, Radio, News Print and the like use only 25% of the resources available to them for forecasting. That seems to correlate perfectly with their accuracy.

MikePA - Corrected link to intellicast.com

/ Where to find long term weather/climate forecasts #4  
<font color="blue"> ( He was asking about a good source for very long term weather forecasting ) </font>

Most weather forecasters can't tell you what will happen tomorrow very accurately, so I wouldn't put much stock in long range forecasting.

My local weather stations here put up a 5-day forecast -- it's funny because I note what they put up for the initial 5th day and it is very rare that on that day it's what they say it was going to be. You would think that a 5-day forecast would only shift over and have a new 5th day. Usually ALL of the days are updated daily.

I would love to have a job where I could make mistakes over 50% of the time and still stay employed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know however, I can forecast the weather in Southwest Florida from June until September and be 90% correct.
<font color="brown"> High in the low to mid 90's with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms. </font>