which beater truck

/ which beater truck #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
So i need a full size to pull a 18-20' trailer. Primary use is short haul (30 miles or less round trip) for my TC33 tractor and impliments for small jobs. (tiller for gardens, brushhog work etc)

figure 1500lb trailer? and 4000-5200 lbs of payload depending on whats loaded. (7-8K rated trailer)

If your budget was $2500 give or take what would you look for?

-Age/millage not important.
-Figure manual trans for simplicity and longevity.
-4x4 a plus (near on required) (it would have to be a bitchen deal on a 2x for me to seriously consider it)

based on some intial inquary the leading recommendation is

81-87 style chevy 3/4 ton with a 350 and a 4 speed 4x4.

(how does one spot a 3/4 ton subruban from the same time period?)

/ which beater truck #2  
Personally I would stay away from those years on most all trucks due to the rust problems. You should be able to find a good used late 80's or early 90's truck for the same money or a few $$ more and be much happier. If you like the GM's that is what you should get. As for the 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton difference it may be hard to tell. The best way is the title or door data plate. For this type of load I would think a 1/2 ton would be ok but if you trip over a good 3/4 ton go for it. The problem with a 3/4 ton of this era is it was most definitely a work truck at some point of its life, not a daily driver or commuter, and will show and cost you down the road for its hard life.

Chris

/ which beater truck #3  
I have found in years past that when buying an older used truck, the 3/4 ton trucks were frequently cheaper than the half ton models. Way back about 1981, I bought a 1977 3/4 ton Dodge simply because I wanted a pickup and it was about the cheapest one I could find. At the time I actually would have preferred a half ton pickup. Both of our daughters got their drivers licenses in that truck.:)

Then down in the country I wanted an old beater pickup that I wouldn't mind driving in the pastures and hayfields and bought an '81 Ford 3/4 ton, 351 engine, automatic, even had power windows that worked, but the cruise control never worked.:D But it pulled a 16' trailer with a tractor just fine.:)

/ which beater truck #4  
schmism said:
(how does one spot a 3/4 ton subruban from the same time period?)

I am pretty sure older Suburbans used to have the numbers on the sides like the pickups did. For example, on the door, "Suburban 1500" or "Suburban 2500." I don't know if the years you are looking at did that.

/ which beater truck #5  
bota7800 said:
I am pretty sure older Suburbans used to have the numbers on the sides like the pickups did. For example, on the door, "Suburban 1500" or "Suburban 2500." I don't know if the years you are looking at did that.

Yes, that should work. You can also count lug nuts, the 3/4 ton will have eight instead of five or six.

One detail on any recent 3/4 ton truck/van/suburban: They all come in a heavy duty and light duty model. The heavy duties have a full floating rear axle (with the big hub sticking out in the center of the wheel. The light duties are a semi-floating axle, basically the same as a 1/2 ton but with eight lugs. Suburbans and vans don't get the full floating axle until the one ton.

Other components are beefier on the heavy duties but the axle is the giveaway.

/ which beater truck #6  
You might keep and eye out for city/state goverment truck auctions/sales. One of my first 4WD's was a former Dept of Soil Conservation truck. A Dodge plain janer, but it was a great work truck. I've seen a lot of old state hiway dept trucks as feed and ranch trucks around here too.
Generally speaking Dodges will most likely be cheaper. An old 3/4 with a 360 would do anything you might want.

/ which beater truck #7  
Eight lugs versus the 5 or 6 lug on the wheels. If they have hubcaps, you can still tell by the style of the wheel after you get used to seeing them.
There is probably a 1/2 ton truck running around somebodies farm that I rebuilt from a wreck that would make a good one. It was an almost new 1/2 ton chevy that I put into the side of a wrecker bed. Took the insurance money and bought a '66 corvette and a year later bought a 3/4 camper special p/u that was rusted halfway up the doors. I stripped everything off the frame except the rear springs, since they were longer and I didn't want to redrill the spring hangers. So I had the ride of a half ton truck, along with the gas milage of one, and the towing capacity of a 3/4 ton(as far as the weight).
Good old truck!
David from jax

/ which beater truck
Diamondpilot said:
The problem with a 3/4 ton of this era is it was most definitely a work truck at some point of its life, not a daily driver or commuter, and will show and cost you down the road for its hard life.

thats a possiblity, but then again im not asking for daily towing duites either.

What i am finding a surpriseing amount of, is well looked after 3/4 tons with large lifts and tires. A project that started 10 years ago and never really went anywere, the owners got tired of messing with.

They seem easy pickings to pick up on the lower end of the spectrum, and de-lift and sell the large wheels/tires for cash to put toward converting back to "normal" dependable truck. (my local craigslist has about 3 of such trucks all under $1500) chevy 4x4 3/4 0tn

/ which beater truck #9  
chh said:
You might keep and eye out for city/state goverment truck auctions/sales.

Be careful of those. I pulled a stint with the state working in the carpentry shop, the mechanic said to watch out for the surplus especially if it had been a "perimeter vehicle", they never shut those off, lots of hours but not many miles. Could be some good deals out there, but I guarantee lots of bad ones.

/ which beater truck #10  
Goofed around on your craiglist a bit. There is also an 80 model F150 4wd on there for $1500. It is an auto though with a 302. Still should be able to pull what your wanting though. Personally I'd stay away from the lifted rigs even if I lowered it back down. The ones I've seen usually have been "played" pretty hard.
Looks like from that craiglist you should be able to find something pretty easy for what you wanting it for.