Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic?

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? This question is inspired by the "What Did I Purchase?" thread.

I like metal. Many of the plastic parts in tractors, especially newer ones, I'm picturing just a few years down the road, cracked and broken. It's one of the several priorities I felt when last shopping.

What do you think???

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #2  
I also like metal rather than plastic. My Kubota L4060 has metal hood, fenders, etc, with some smaller parts being plastic.

For indoor stored machines I doubt it makes much difference though. UV seems to be very hard on plastic components.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #3  
The Kubota BX I bought 12 years ago had a lot of plastic, they are now steel. The JD 2025r I bought about 3 years ago also has a lot of plastic. The Kubota plastic was not very durable, I had to replace the engine surround. The JD seems much better, a lot more durable and the shape of the panels makes them less vulnerable to damage.

Two ways too look at it. Something might hit a plastic panel and bounce off while it would badly dent metal. On the other hand it might badly crack the plastic and ruin it while a dent in the metal is something you live with.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #4  
A dent in the metal can be hammered out with some basic tools in just a few minutes, so no need to live with it for long and no replacement cost for minor issues.
My JD’s and every single one of my friends have cracked panels that are glued, taped, riveted together in some form and are unsightly to say the least. It’s become a professional body man and learn how to fix it or buy a replacement.
Banging out a dent with basic body tools doesn’t require much investment in cost of tools or materials needed.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic?
I guess there are two more specific things I dislike about the plastic. One is that, rather than getting dented, it gets cracked, and the crack may be huge or may grow huge. It eventually may fall apart. The other thing I dislike about it is that they try to do so much with one molded part, so there are a zillion geometrical features, many of which hold the part on or hold some other part on. Just one of these little features breaking can make the equipment somewhat less functional. With metal, there are fewer features in the part == just imagine an engineering drawing for a metal cover or body party, and the drawing for a plastic version, which would be way more complicated. Often, there will be a hole, and another thing attaches with a fastener, which is pretty easy to fix, nothing important to just break off.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #6  
I guess it depends on what parts being "plastic", and what you're doing with them? Now coming from a guy with a tractor with "metal" on it, I can't really see how the plastic is going to be a big deal. I think you'd have to do something pretty spectacular to "break" a plastic hood. Personally the plastic/metal debate never entered into the selection process for me. I hadn't planned on entering mine in a demolition derby, or anything spectacular. I also go out of my way to not drop logs, or large rocks, or anything else falling off the backside of my bucket and landing on my hood. I've seen plenty of older plastic tractors on here that have weathered the ages just fine. Sure the paint fades, but the panels are still there and in one piece. I don't have any plastic panels on mine, with the exception that the rear fenders on my cabbed tractor are fiberglass (plastic-whatever). Since I make it a point to not side swipe cars, or trees, or any other fixed objects, my fenders are fine. A few scratches from driving through heavy brush sure, but no real damage.

Unless you're talking about plastic interiors? My cab has loads of plastic inside. Dash, knobs, panels, etc, all plastic. It spent it's first 3 years outside, and so far, nothing has faded or weathered so you could notice? It was only starting last summer that I had a place where I could park/store it inside a metal building. I think the only fading has been the paint on top of the cab roof. It has noticeably faded compared to the color of the hood.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #7  
That was part of my decision, at the time I bought mine, the other brand I was looking (JD and Kubota) as more plastic then my MF. Never regret it, but I don’t think it is a the more important factor, but it not crack or come more pale by UV.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #8  
PowerTrac has no plastic. No thin sheet metal either. All plate steel. The entire machine. I can stand on it anywhere, including the engine cover and canopy.

20 years of rough abuse on mine. Not one dent.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #9  
I thought dents added character. Maybe I am wrong?

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #10  
My New Holland had all "plastic" body panels and they never cracked or faded. They were very heavy duty and took impacts very good. The word "plastic" is a very broad description as there are many types, mixtures, and finishes. If done right, I would rather have plastic because it can be done with less parts and there is less rattling/buzzing of metal parts vibrating together. Some makes skimp on the quality of body parts so you have to take a close look before buying. If the panels are a type of fiberglass, those can be easily repaired.