Which R4 should I choose?

/ Which R4 should I choose? #1  

espacef1fan

Silver Member
Tractor
Shopping for a tractor
I’m looking at buying a Branson 20 series which I will use for occasional loader work and other tractory chores but mostly for pulling a finish mower(in the comfort of a cab) there are some rear tire size options and these are the two I’m considering:
420/70x24 or 16.9x24

The tires seem to be the same width with more height being present on the 16.9x24s

Looking up these tire sizes the 16.9x24s seem to usually have a higher weight rating/more plies when I click on different brands of tires.

When mowing I expect the tractor to weigh 4500lbs or possibly 5500 if I ballast the tires, both weights without the mower.

So the concerns/questions are the following:

-Turf damage and specifically soil rutting is a big concern, though I was mowing with this until recently without many issues.
IMG_6499.jpg

-Would the smaller diameter but fewer ply tire have a bigger or smaller footprint than the larger diameter but more ply tire?

-What about when I add 500 lbs of ballast to each tire?

/ Which R4 should I choose? #2  
Smaller tire would have smaller foot print. It wouldn't "squish" enough to begin to equal the larger tire foot print.
You want a wider tire for increased floatation.
Tire loading is "unsprung weight" meaning if your tractor weighs 5000 lbs after loading, it would have as much or as least soil impact as an unloaded 5000 lb tractor.
The lighter the tractor, the less impact on turf. The wider the tire, the less pound force per sq in. of ground contact.
You might want to consider a detachable weight for loader work if concerned.
I love the Bransons. Really well built and tough. Just wish their dealer network was larger or I might have ended up with one.

/ Which R4 should I choose? #3  
Widest tire you are allowed. Front and rear.

/ Which R4 should I choose? #5  
They seem to be effectively the same width
If they are the same pattern, same width and hold the same amount of weight, then I'd go with which one is cheaper. Now and to replace.

/ Which R4 should I choose?
If they are the same pattern, same width and hold the same amount of weight, then I'd go with which one is cheaper. Now and to replace.

Well as I originally posted the taller but same width tire should have the bigger contact patch but it is stiffer so Im unsure if it will deflect enough at my mowing weight to make that true.