which tractor?

/ which tractor? #1  

jiminpa

Bronze Member
Tractor
massy 35 diesel
all right i narrowed my choises down to two,kubota and new holland.i want a 35-45hp class tractor with loader and backhoe.i presently have a massey 35 diesel(1961).my bushhog is half homemade(woods stumpjumper gears/homemade carridge)heavy!post hole digger,rototiller,pig pole,bale spear,and wagons are what i use.so let's hear the orange vs blue differences,engines,braking,hydralics,ect.

/ which tractor? #2  
8/5

Jim, you might want to post this to both the NH and the Kubota "buying" topics. Since this topic is about "Ag" tractors, you might be missed by most compact opinion holders.

Don't be shy, post to both.

I own and recommend NH since it has served me well in the past and the newer ones (esp the Boomers) have superior technology. But you should try to hear from some compact owners (mine is a small Ag tractor) instead.

Best of luck,
Jim

/ which tractor? #3  
They're both good tractors. Test drive both and buy the one that "feels" best to you. You can't hardly go wrong either way.

Bird

/ which tractor? #4  
jiminpa,
Will your local dealership allow you to test your choice of models?
Far as orange vs blue each model has there own advanages,but the customer should feel comfortable at signing.

Take care and stay/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ which tractor? #5  
Guess all I can tell you about is Kubota. I had an old Massey for 6 years. All of the hydraulics limitations on the Massey are fixed on the Kubota. In addition the compact sized Kubota have a Hydro that is the best available in any brand. The resale is also better than the Massey and everything works like it should. I have a M6800SD. In the Ag tractors, the M4900 has all of the nice features for Ag work. It is only available in a gear model but all of the gears are synchronized! Haven't heard a gear grind since I got it. The shuttle is on the dash and fully synchronized for fwd/rev. Haven't found anything that I don't like yet. The M4900, M5700, and M6800 are the smaller Ag tractors in the range of 40-68 HP. The L Series are the compacts. Kubota makes a really nice engine that starts and runs everytime and burns very efficiently and very clean (no smoke). The 4WD is flawless and highly recommended. It is worth every penny that it costs when you need it.

The M Series is better equipped to handle round bales and heavier implements. It comes with a single hydraulic pair of valves plus 4 more that are mid mounted when you buy the loader. You can buy one additional hydraulic valve, but I didn't see any implements that need it. The only option I got was to fill the tires with water/antifreeze (non/toxic) and a quick connect bucket kit so I can put on a bale spear easily.

It is such an improvement over the Massey, you just simply won't belive how nicely everything works. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ which tractor? #6  
KEEP the Massey Ferguson 35! You have a magnificient tractor (I have one myself, also a '61). She's the best dawg gone tractor in her price range. Honest horsepower, robust and reliable. I just got finished brush hawging 20 acres with 'Nellie'. No offense, but screw those plastic high dollar week-end wanna-be toy tractors!!!

Happy and safe tractoring.

Raptor

/ which tractor?
yeay but" old nellie" is nickel and dimeing me to death.plus i need remote hydrolics now,the 35 has a "bull"cylinder(lift but no down pressure).plus i want a loader that is not a jerryriged system ie made for the tractor.i paid $3000 for mine,put $3000 in it in the last 2 years!time to move up in the world,leave the wrenching to the guys with time to kill,i got work to do!

/ which tractor? #8  
Jiminpa,

I compared, the Ford/New Holland TC45 and the Kubota L3010. The TC45 in my opinion, out did the 3010 (In on the lot testing). However, I bought a John Deere. I liked everything about the Deere...save the color. Best advice I can give is, try every model. Using a, seat of the pants attitude, if the tractor feels good and meets your need using that method, It will probably remain that way as long as you own it. Just remember my main point...Test All Of Them, before you buy. You are the one that must, be pleased with your purchase.

Good Luck.

Cowboy
BigBoyz Toyz

/ which tractor? #9  
I agree with Cowboy. Try as many as you can get on. I too just tore into an old MF35 deep enough to find out it AIN'T worth it. Now if this tractor had not been abused so much, I would fix it.
If you were to look at a 35hp tractor, you will find that any of them will outdo the older ones. I have tested and am stuck on the TC40 or TC45 with gear or "HYDRO". I Say "HYDRO" because most know me as a dedicated gear man but am leaning hard towards the HYDRO. They are a dream to run. The TC40 has the most for the boom lift and that is important to me in this size tractor. Have fun looking and you WILL be suprised.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ which tractor?
well i went to the fair and got to play a little on a bunch of tractors.i think im going orange.the 35hp boomers where nice,but the kubotas "fit"me better.i'm 5'8"170lbs.not what you would call long and lanky!!the controls where easier to reach(after the seat was put where it was comfy,blue's controls where behind me!)plus the orange tractors where lower to the ground(easier in the barn).will go with the gears,didn't like the hydro on any model,old habits are hard to break!only catch is the nearest orange dealer is a joke,will have to run about 50 miles to another(but real good people).will have to see what i can do now on trade-in,may even trade my 4'rototiller(jd448) for one that will cover my tire tracks.loader and backhoe are on the list.