Which valve do I use? Speed control

/ Which valve do I use? Speed control #1  

Treckal

Hi, I am fairly new to hydraulics, but I have built a system that moves a platform across a distance with a fixed gear rack and a motor with a gear wheel on a sprung plate. The problem is, in time, someone will become complacent and ram the platform into its endstop at full speed. How can i use an electric limit switch and a valve combination to slow the platform towards the end of its travel? Or is there another way to do this? Thanks!

/ Which valve do I use? Speed control #2  
How about a spring loaded air cylinder, with adjustable relief. The rod would be extended , and as the platform hit the air cylinder, the air will rush out one of the ports, and with a valve, adjust the amount of air release, you will have some control of the end stop, therefore, a cushion effect.

Some kind of a piston, a spring, and a tube, and valve

/ Which valve do I use? Speed control #3  
There are cylinders with end-damping......damps the last 0.5-1.0 inch of the stroke.....I dont know how your rig is designed, but this is the simplest way to do it....other wise you probobly will need a proportional valve with a motion control unit together with limit switches/sensors.....