Which Wisconsin V4 engine has distributor on top of engine under the carb?

/ Which Wisconsin V4 engine has distributor on top of engine under the carb? #1  

Dunno

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a spare engine for my stump grinder which has a Wisconsin W4-1770 35hp on there. A Wisconsin engine came up for sale and I can't figure out which model it is, and seller doesn't know. The most distinguishing feature I see in the pics is that the distributor is on top of the engine at a 45 degree angle under the carb. I've read a WG4D will fit where the W4-1770 is, and I think this might be one, but hopefully someone knows which V4 engines came with that top-mounted distributor. Thanks. John

/ Which Wisconsin V4 engine has distributor on top of engine under the carb? #2  
A VH4D (<-- like in my Bobcat) would be a closer match, but it has the distributor on the side of the engine.
Here's a bunch of literature on the various versions of engines they made, hopefully something shows up.

/ Which Wisconsin V4 engine has distributor on top of engine under the carb?
Hi Dan,
Great source of Wisconsin literature, thank you. So, if the engine with the top mount distributor is a VH4D, from the literature the size specs of the VH4D and 1770 are the same, so I assume should fit? My -1770 has the side mount dizzy, which is how I knew the one for sale was different. Thanks.

/ Which Wisconsin V4 engine has distributor on top of engine under the carb? #4  
I wonder if it was even a Wisc for sale...I don't recall ever seeing one with a distributor on top, and once they settle on a casting they usually stick with it throughout; eg. Fords have front mount dists, GM and Mopar on the back, etc.

/ Which Wisconsin V4 engine has distributor on top of engine under the carb? #5  
I have two with magneto's.

1672353311966.png

/ Which Wisconsin V4 engine has distributor on top of engine under the carb? #7  
I wonder if it was even a Wisc for sale...I don't recall ever seeing one with a distributor on top, and once they settle on a casting they usually stick with it throughout; eg. Fords have front mount dists, GM and Mopar on the back, etc.
Ford 8n's had them on the front and moved them to the side.

SR

Does anyone know what model of Wisconsin V4 is pictured? I looked at my 1770 but it does not seem to have the provisions to mount a distributor in that position. Thanks.
John

Airbuscuit,
That looks to be the same model as it has the distributor in the same place. Do you know what model it is? Thanks.