whisteria

/ whisteria #12  
Down here in SC the wisteria is just about to bloom. As mentioned in an earlier post it grows wild and is a nusance to most. You are too far north for wisteria to grow. It's amazing the frost has not killed the roots. If you talk to most nurseries they won't send it north of Toronto. My mother had it for years couldn't get it to bloom and she lives in Windsor area. Find something that grows in your climatic zone.

/ whisteria #13  
WHEN you prune has a lot of bearing on if it blooms. If one if going to prune, (and believe me, they always need it!) it should be done right after the new growth of leaves and such gets set. If you prune later in the season or year, you prune off the area the new blooms would have come from.

I trim more than 50% off of mine, but I do it in the Springtime. It will bloom beautifully, before even setting leaves, each year, early Spring. I still have to trim a few runners, vines back, just to try to keep it contained, even after "butchering it" earlier in the year. Once mine is finished blooming, I get busy chopping.

Maybe you are trimming too often, and during the wrong time for it?

A couple of other things, If your plant was started from seed, instead of from cuttings, it can take DECADES to bloom. And Wisteria do NOT like fertilizer. If they get more fertilizer than they like, they will not bloom. They also prefer well drained soil.

/ whisteria
pruned back about 1/4 of the length of the runners in early spring last year just before the new growth started , sandy soil with a bit of topsoil mixed in , didn't fertilize.

Too far up north ? kill the roots? :confused: then why do I have one in my front yard that grows well but won't flower ... the 3 trunks are about 3/4" thick at this point and about 5 foot tall before the runners get strung sideways on a trellis.....

it was about 6" tall when we were given it ....