White Oaked my mower trailer

/ White Oaked my mower trailer #1  

aarolar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800
When I went to get my new mower last week I had to lay a piece of ply down on the deck so the 800lb beast didn't fall through. I fixed that problem today, had some white oak left over from a customer who supplied logs to deck his gooseneck. 20180224_161027.jpg20180224_161022.jpg

/ White Oaked my mower trailer #2  
I'm looking for a log to do the same with my trailer...did you have to pre-drill the holes for the hold down screws?

/ White Oaked my mower trailer
I'm looking for a log to do the same with my trailer...did you have to pre-drill the holes for the hold down screws?
I did some some I didn't, the ones I did were mostly to save wear on my little 1/4 drive impact.

/ White Oaked my mower trailer #4  
I like to take used motor oil and thin it with mineral spirits and mop it on to protect the wood.
It will soak it in if left to bake in the sun.

/ White Oaked my mower trailer #5  
I've got a single axle - 1500# - trailer that desperately needs a new deck.

aarolar - how long do you expect that new white oak deck will last?

/ White Oaked my mower trailer #6  
I just re-decked a 5x8 but used treated 2x12's. I coated them on all sides with thompson's water seal. Hopefully that will make it last. I used long self tapping screws to attach the planking.

/ White Oaked my mower trailer #7  
IMO, If the white oak was solid when 'aarolar' installed it and water is not allowed to puddle on it (note the gaps to allow water to escape)...

If both the steel frame and the white oak deck were left 100% unprotected...the white oak deck would last longer than the frame...virtually nothing will naturally destroy it (other than a partial water issue)...

/ White Oaked my mower trailer

I'm with /pine, indefinitely. I don't expect to need to replace it again in my lifetime.

/ White Oaked my mower trailer #9  

A long time. When the PT pine on my trailer fails I plan on replacing it with white oak. Whenever I come across a not very good white oak log I'll probably have it sawed for trailer decking. Btw white oak is supposedly more rot resistant than red oak.

/ White Oaked my mower trailer #10  
White Oak is considered an exotic wood around here. I could darn near buy a new trailer for the price of enough 2x6 white oak to re-deck mine. There is an exotic wood outlet in Spokane. Mainly provides speciality woods for custom wood workers. They could special order the oak for me for $$$$. I'll be using PT pine to re-deck my trailer.