Who’s cutting hay?

/ Who’s cutting hay? #51  
Sorry to hear that. What a difference 75-100 miles makes. My hay supplier between Athens and Tyler already has 2nd cut in the barn and we got some rain over the last week, with more in the forecast. He thinks he will get a 3rd cut and hoping for a 4th. I had to go this last weekend to pick up the last of my 2021 hay that was in his barn as he needs the room for this year's hay.

I know where you are at and it is dry. We just sold my mom's place at Lake Alvarado, in Blue Water Oaks subdivision. Had to put her in assisted living.
My baler covered a 13 acre field to get three(3) 4X5.5 rd bales. Cost to hay baling customer was $195 per bale. I think this hay baling customer might listen next time I tell them their hay field isn't worth baling. 8 acre field for my neighbor yielded 3 rd bales @ a cost to owner of $120 per bale. Please send any unwanted rain to north

/ Who’s cutting hay? #52  
WM75Guy
I know exactly where Blue Water Oaks is on Alvarado Lake. I live about 4 miles SW of there. I always "enjoyed" traveling on the not so straight road leading into the center of BW Oaks.:LOL:

/ Who’s cutting hay? #53  
Well, lots of guys making late decisions to get out of hay I guess. I’ve been offered two new properties in as many weeks. One for free. Not large tracts but the old guys who have been doing it for fun have been quitting, can’t blame them. Not seeing a lot of equipment going up for sale yet, we’ll see I guess.

/ Who’s cutting hay?
Well, lots of guys making late decisions to get out of hay I guess. I’ve been offered two new properties in as many weeks. One for free. Not large tracts but the old guys who have been doing it for fun have been quitting, can’t blame them. Not seeing a lot of equipment going up for sale yet, we’ll see I guess.

Yep it’s getting mighty expensive to fuel tractors these days, isn’t it?
I am being offered fields for nuthin’, too. 10 years ago, owners were always looking for rent/acre.
I’m not paying a dime.
If prices stay where they are by winter, I am sending my smaller field owners a letter of resignation unless they want to pay me to bale them. How much? Don’t know. But something is in order. Way I see it is if they lose me, then they will have to pay to have it bush hogged and rates are at $175/hour for that. Fuel prices are dropping a little, but still 2.5X what they were 2 years ago. Something’s gotta give…..

/ Who’s cutting hay? #55  
My baler covered a 13 acre field to get three(3) 4X5.5 rd bales. Cost to hay baling customer was $195 per bale. I think this hay baling customer might listen next time I tell them their hay field isn't worth baling. 8 acre field for my neighbor yielded 3 rd bales @ a cost to owner of $120 per bale. Please send any unwanted rain to north Texas

Yep it’s getting mighty expensive to fuel tractors these days, isn’t it?
I am being offered fields for nuthin’, too. 10 years ago, owners were always looking for rent/acre.
I’m not paying a dime.
If prices stay where they are by winter, I am sending my smaller field owners a letter of resignation unless they want to pay me to bale them. How much? Don’t know. But something is in order. Way I see it is if they lose me, then they will have to pay to have it bush hogged and rates are at $175/hour for that. Fuel prices are dropping a little, but still 2.5X what they were 2 years ago. Something’s gotta give…..
I was wondering if you guys have a minimum bale pricing matrix. I told my buddy that if they don't have at least 10 bales, then he should have a minimum fee for baling. Sounds like Jim has something like that in place already. Jim if you don't mind could you save what pricing structure is?

/ Who’s cutting hay? #56  
I have used a 2 bale to the acre minimum/$400 per job for several yrs. Due to inflation I raised my cutting/raking/baling charge from $24 to $30. Due to extreme drought I've lowered my minimum charge to 1-1/2 bales to the acre or $45 per acre. In essence $45 isn't really enough if I was having to make equipment payments(all my tractors/equipment has been paid for for several yrs) plus fuel, wrap & repairs. Due to my advanced age & nerve damage I only harvest my close neighbors hay.

Custom pasture/lot mower people charge at least $50 per acre for 1 not 3 trips across the field.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #57  
Put down 20 acres yesterday. We still use small bales because it brings the family together on a project. We will move about 2K bales into the barn by next weekend.
Small bales work as my FIL at 89 years prefers the small bales. He can move them about to feed his 25 head of cattle. We make them light at 60 pounds for that reason alone. He gets great satisfaction out of his four generations of kids, grandkids and great grandkids helping him get hay in.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #58  
I got the bottom of my field cut last Friday then had to leave town for several days. Got back last night (Wed) raked it and waiting to bale. Surprisingly some areas are still not dry enough. :( I did not water this area but it looks pretty good volume wise, better than last year for sure.
Plan is to cut the rest today.
IMG_1220.JPG
IMG_1221.JPG
IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG

/ Who’s cutting hay? #59  
Got the bottom baled around midday. Only 18 bales, was hoping for 20. Started cutting the top and had to stop. At the top of the field my neighbor had a small stream of water coming off his field making it too muddy in mine. The water is off now and I'll start cutting Saturday.
The last picture is the top field and I'm ready!!
IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1261.JPG
IMG_1262.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG

/ Who’s cutting hay? #60  
Got the bottom baled around midday. Only 18 bales, was hoping for 20. Started cutting the top and had to stop. At the top of the field my neighbor had a small stream of water coming off his field making it too muddy in mine. The water is off now and I'll start cutting Saturday.
The last picture is the top field and I'm ready!!
View attachment 752317View attachment 752318View attachment 752319View attachment 752320
Really nice view from your "office". Thanks for sharing.