Who can afford a new truck anymore?

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #221  
My daily driver is 1/2 ton 66 GMC 250 six granny four speed. Ive got another 66 GMC short stepside with a souped up engine and auto trans. My hauler is a 71 chev 3/4 flatbed. 454 and turbo 400 auto trans. Ive pulled a gooseneck trailer and bumper pull trailers. Ive hauled 7500 pound of scrap iron on the bed no problem. I can completely rebuild a old Chev or GMC for a fraction of what a new truck would cost. I haven't seen any Pk truck made after 1972 that I wanted!

Cool! Any pictures?

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #222  
I hear you loud and clear.... You and I are one and the same (except I am a Ford man)!!

I feel that todays automobiles are designed to last only a very short time as the plastic hardware will crack and fade and electrical issues will dominate them after a few years. The older vehicles were simple in design and folks can keep them going for generations. All of the automakers had it right until the 80's...Then something happened plastic replaced metal and bumpers started to disappear into the body. .

What do you mean cars don't last? No points every 3000 miles. No V-belts to tighten, jump off and replace every 10-15,000 miles. No distributor cap or rotor to replace. No cross firing under the cap and fail to start in wet weather. Corrosion on battery posts is rarely seen now. Nobody remember vapour lock in hot weather. How about stuck choke or heat riser valves ? Do you recall engine over hauls at 75,000 miles? Now gas vehicles go 300,000 miles with filters, oil changes, two spark plug changes and a fan belt. Today's vehicles also travel much farther on a gallon of fuel. I recall the mid 70's 400 Chev with 4-5 mpg. Now 15-18+mpg on a gas truck is normal.
Good Old Days, my hairy white backside.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #223  
What do you mean cars don't last? No points every 3000 miles. No V-belts to tighten, jump off and replace every 10-15,000 miles. No distributor cap or rotor to replace. No cross firing under the cap and fail to start in wet weather. Corrosion on battery posts is rarely seen now. Nobody remember vapour lock in hot weather. How about stuck choke or heat riser valves ? Do you recall engine over hauls at 75,000 miles? Now gas vehicles go 300,000 miles with filters, oil changes, two spark plug changes and a fan belt. Today's vehicles also travel much farther on a gallon of fuel. I recall the mid 70's 400 Chev with 4-5 mpg. Now 15-18+mpg on a gas truck is normal.

I agree. Give me ABS, electronic fuel injection, electronic ignition, etc. anytime.

I couldn't find an individual chart that covers all the way back to 1970, but here's what has happened to the average age of our vehicles over time.

p11b_line.gif

average_age_of_cars_and_light_trucks.jpg

Steve

Last edited:
   / Who can afford a new truck anymore? #224  
Yep. New ones last longer. Less rust. Less maintenance. But when something does break.... OUCH! it costs a bundle.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #225  
Wow..... Never thought there was so much passion for the NEW stuff.

I will address safety first, auto's made today are more safe - until a defect in craftsmanship causes airbag to deploy. Crumple zones created to take the 'grunt' of the impact instead of the driver - car is a total loss in low speed accidents. Seatbelts and bucket seats replace bench seats (what happened to the fun of armor all on a vinyl seat- in curve). Yes new automobiles have saved lives, they shut off a 100mph ;). Seriously though, car's today are "more safe".

Reliability - throw a serpentine belt and you are stranded however throw a V-belt off a alternator and you still can make it to a repair shop (water pump is still running off of the other V-belt). No need for a tune-up for those new cars until you roll 100,000 miles, but when that time comes miles of plastic and even hard parts must be removed to even access the "hard to reach plugs". The old vehicles do need serviced more frequently, "Just climb in the engine bay and access whatever you want easily". There are perks with those new vehicles because they are 'reliable' but if they fail... you had better just call AAA because it will not be an easy fix.

I do like the charts and graphs that you guys posted... they seem accurate, "I know because soo many people driving new vehicles are rubbernecking within sight of my truck". I question whether they are gawking- or finger pointing. :)

Yes I have to pull the choke and wait for it to warm on cold days. Hot summer days I open both floor vents swing the vent windows open, and manually roll/slide the windows open..... I don't envy those who have payments for almost 10years in their shiny new trucks, and am unashamed to ride my family to town for milk. I know that there are few of us out there who drive these old trucks but driving with an arm perched on a widow sill and the other draped along the seat back with the wife cuddled nest to you is beyond description. Life is short, I enjoy it even though it may be shorter and more risky than those in their super safe automobiles.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #226  
there are few of us out there who drive these old trucks but driving with an arm perched on a widow sill and the other draped along the seat back with the wife cuddled nest to you is beyond description.

you said it!

Good Old Days, my hairy white backside.

All true, but remember you paid more, up front, for this (much) higher level of service, performance and safety.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #227  
170.jpghoarded stuff 021.JPG689.jpg
Cool! Any pictures?
The short bed has a 250 six bored .040 hedders & cam 4 bbl intake ect. I convert my old trucks to electronic ignition and install hard valves on the intake and rotators on the exhaust valves. the leaded gas was what fouled the plugs. the plugs in my trucks last as long as they do in the newer fuel injected vehicles. Up until about 1963 most vehicles had a road draft crankcase ventilation. and the engines where shot like stated around 70,0000 miles. after 1963 the PCV was used and the engines began to last longer. my dad bought a new 666 ford car. that Fe engine ran 325 000 miles and never had the valve covers off. I also use the Frantz toiler paper oil cleaners on my vehicles. I carry a spare fan belt distributer & alternator under the seat. my 71 is pretty quick on take off it has 456 gears. my wife named it scooter:) actually I don't know how many vehicles I do own.:confused: Somewhere between Two and three hundred. I have owned over a thousand vehicles the past fifty years. Ive sent plenty to the crusher. My wife has a 66 3/4 long bed 292 granny 4 speed. Her daddy bought it new and gave it to her a few years before he died. she drove it several years. Its waiting to be rebuilt. we are going to keep it 4 speed but add power steering power disk brakes and air cond. I buy the newer 73 up chevy trucks and junk them. I use the front suspension and rear ends under the older trucks.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #228  
Wow..... Never thought there was so much passion for the NEW stuff.

Not so much passion for me, but a reality. I had to severely hot rod my 70 Nova's 230ci (about 3.7L) straight six to get it leaning towards 300hp. It topped out at about 114mph. Our used 'fleet rental car' 2013 Impala came stock with a 6spd auto tranny, and a 300hp aluminum gasoline direct injected variable valve timing V6 (3.6L) as the only engine option in the car that year! (2011, 2012 and 2013). It gets 30mpg on the highway all day long, yet it is way quicker than that Nova 0-60 AND top end is over 145 (might have to reprogram to take off the speed limiter, depending on model). Front wheel drive, anti-lock brakes, traction control and stability control make it a much better winter car. Air conditioning, power windows and sunroof make it a much better summer car. About the same interior room as the 70 Nova. Its far safer for my family.

For a cruise on Saturday night I'd still pick the old Nova. Great memories and my wife can shift the three on the tree for me.:laughing: But for daily driving, dependability, safety AND fun when wanted, the new cars are just plain better. I'd never send my kid out alone on a road trip in a 70's era car. I've sent her across the country in the newer cars many times. :thumbsup:

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #229  
View attachment 431576View attachment 431579View attachment 431573 The short bed has a 250 six bored .040 hedders & cam 4 bbl intake ect. I convert my old trucks to electronic ignition and install hard valves on the intake and rotators on the exhaust valves. the leaded gas was what fouled the plugs. the plugs in my trucks last as long as they do in the newer fuel injected vehicles. Up until about 1963 most vehicles had a road draft crankcase ventilation. and the engines where shot like stated around 70,0000 miles. after 1963 the PCV was used and the engines began to last longer. my dad bought a new 666 ford car. that Fe engine ran 325 000 miles and never had the valve covers off. I also use the Frantz toiler paper oil cleaners on my vehicles. I carry a spare fan belt distributer & alternator under the seat. my 71 is pretty quick on take off it has 456 gears. my wife named it scooter:) actually I don't know how many vehicles I do own.:confused: Somewhere between Two and three hundred. I have owned over a thousand vehicles the past fifty years. Ive sent plenty to the crusher. My wife has a 66 3/4 long bed 292 granny 4 speed. Her daddy bought it new and gave it to her a few years before he died. she drove it several years. Its waiting to be rebuilt. we are going to keep it 4 speed but add power steering power disk brakes and air cond. I buy the newer 73 up chevy trucks and junk them. I use the front suspension and rear ends under the older trucks.

Very cool! :thumbsup: I had a 230 in a 70 Nova. .60 over, huge cam, Clifford intake with holley 450 and headers. Had a speed shop do the head work. I've always liked the straight 6s. Unique and fun.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #230  
Nice, I have always like that series of GMC. My dad had a dark green one and I think it was of the coolest trucks I was ever around. He had a chev panel truck of the same style that I bought from him and drove to high school. Very "comfortable" inside.