Who doesn't despise trolls?

/ Who doesn't despise trolls? #22  
When I have edited, I think I have limited it to typos, misspellings and such. I suggest that if a poster wants to make a substantive change after there have been responses, that instead of changing then content of the original post, to simply add "UPDATE" below the post and add the content there with an explanation if needed, e.g., "I said that I did X to solve my issue, but actually I did Y", or, "I forgot to mention that......". or whatever.

/ Who doesn't despise trolls? #23  
The question is if the majority is in favor of asking Muhammad to take measures that limit time allowed to delete or edit.
My answer is leave it unlimited.
We figured just giving unlimited edit permissions would solve that, and it has. If there's a greater downside, we can think about changing it back.
Please don't even think about changing it back.:eek:

I have made corrections to many old posts since the new version came out.

Last edited:
   / Who doesn't despise trolls? #24  
Examples?

If a post has been replied to with a quote, the original content will be there. If there's ever a dispute over facts, we do have a post history that we can dig through to find the truth. This is incredibly rare though.

We used to have a 60 minute time limit on editing posts and it was common that users wanted to edit content (maybe remove a phone number or change some content based on it mentioning another party) and then needed a moderator to do it. We figured just giving unlimited edit permissions would solve that, and it has. If there's a greater downside, we can think about changing it back.
i don't think you need to change a thing.

/ Who doesn't despise trolls? #26  
It's funny what bugs some people. This should be in the OCD thread.

I find none of your complainants actual forms of trolling...
I was thinking the same thing. "Troll" is why I no longer read the "Electric cars III", because I fell into that category.

/ Who doesn't despise trolls? #27  
Sometimes just after hitting the post button, on re-read, my own words come back to me as sounding harsh and full of ridicule, which wasn't what I was attempting to convey. If I can't figure out a re-write, to get rid of this overall incorrect tone, I'll just delete the post.
I was a bit horrified after starting the Tool **** Friday thread, with how the advertising algorithm handled it. Hint... don't use any suggestive words in a new thread title. :)

Last edited:
   / Who doesn't despise trolls?
Clearly few if any notice that people sometimes edit posts in a fashion that renders replies already posted nonsensical. Although I said deleting can be even worse than editing it is interesting that no one addressed op deleting their original post and wiping out all those that followed it.
Per Muhammad's request for example; a common case is someone lashing out at another then when "another" responds (confirming another read the insult) "lasher" deletes his post then walks away. Eventhough some don't think it fits under the title of troll,I believe it does,certainly falls under some other headings but imo troll is one of them. Call it what you will,it is bad behavior and spreads discontent non the less. Another event is someone asks for help then after two days and receiving one or more lengthy replies,deletes their original post. Coupled with the fact it's the poster's first and last post or poster has been a member for two years and has only 2 or three posts,it seems nefarious. Below is one from today. This is copy/paste from email notification.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jstpssng replied to a thread you are watching at TractorByNet - Tractor Forum.
He's gotten several answers in the twin thread he posted this AM.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/1975-ford-2000-or-1950-8n.455503/#post-6338436

1975 Ford 2000 or 1950 8N

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
None of this is a hanging offense but with some other forums it grew legs and became a contentious issue that eventually lead to limiting time allowed.
TBN isn't there so we are good.
Thanks to all of your participation.

/ Who doesn't despise trolls? #29  
^^^^
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jstpssng replied to a thread you are watching at TractorByNet - Tractor Forum.
He's gotten several answers in the twin thread he posted this AM.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/1975-ford-2000-or-1950-8n.455503/#post-6338436

1975 Ford 2000 or 1950 8N

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't even notice that the thread was gone until you posted this.
I don't completely agree with your message but understand your point. It's somewhat common for somebody to bring a zombie thread up. After people start replying to it again they will delete the post which "bumped" it... leaving the next poster in line looking like they really were responding to some supernatural being.

/ Who doesn't despise trolls? #30  
I wish life had an unlimited edit option, I have some comments I'd take back.