Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,472  
Is hard to make an economic argument in favor of motorcycles. 50 MPG is nice but when a cheap tire cost $100 plus $50 to mount and lasts less than 5,000 miles one spends as much for tires as gasoline. Not even the $200+$50 tire lasts much more than 8,000 miles. If not careful a sport bike tire lasts less than 2,000 miles.

A Prius is cheaper to drive. Same 50 MPG but for $600 out the door one can have (4) new tires with 80,000 mile tread warranty. And heater+air conditioning.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,473  
I don't ride due to the price of fuel, the price of mental health is what makes me do the deed.
Haha Alright, you kind of caught me there on my purchase.

But, have made a few town trips already and if "just" the fuel cost is counted- it looks good on paper as long as ALL the ancillaries/externalities are completely ignored.

Riding always puts a smile on my face.

The value Priceless:)

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,474  
I bought my used 1980 SR 500, with 1,200 miles, in 1981, for 1,250 dollars. You can take a Topo map of Oregon and place your finger randomly any where on the map,... I have been there. Forty some odd years, driving in the middle of no where and the bike never let me down. :)

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,475  
I've been into motorcycles for over 40 years. Was a factory tech for 15 and raced AFM for over 13 years.
Currently ride a ZX14, 1983 GS750E and a 1994 DR650

Mad

Attachments

• received_257070479858718.jpg
    received_257070479858718.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
   / Who rides motorcycles? #1,476  
I've been into motorcycles for over 40 years. Was a factory tech for 15 and raced AFM for over 13 years.
Currently ride a ZX14, 1983 GS750E and a 1994 DR650

Mad
Welcome! Decided to lay in the shade eh?

I've been away from regular riding now for too long...I tell everyone, "John Deere gets my motorcycling money now."

I broke my right navicular in a stooopid m/c accident on my XT600. Had a knobby Metzeler front tire on it that the backside of the knobs had worn down to an angle...I was trying to supermotard on some slick asphalt and hit the front brake a bit too hard. Front end slipped away like I hit a greasy spot. I had to give up sport bikes, because I can only apply down pressure on wrist for a short while. :(

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,477  
I'm strongly considering something like the "Honda Trail 90" A CT110 is the latest edition IIRC.

I think I would ride it more often than the VFR when not going anywhere.

I could easily make over the Moto Morini 500 to do the same thing... Open tread tires a rear sprocket , wider handlebars and control cables would do it.

Hmm... What would I do with the KLR650?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,478  
I'm strongly considering something like the "Honda Trail 90" A CT110 is the latest edition IIRC.

I think I would ride it more often than the VFR when not going anywhere.

I could easily make over the Moto Morini 500 to do the same thing... Open tread tires a rear sprocket , wider handlebars and control cables would do it.

Hmm... What would I do with the KLR650?
Stop. Stop,

Now you got me thinking "Again" about a T7, CB 500X, CRF300 Rally or maybe that new Norden "Husky" 901

Maybe I will use you guys for "Normal" examples with the wife ,

Gee Honey, Bunch of the Guys over on TBN Always keep a varied stock of motorcycles at all times.
Seems like a great idea to me - never know when a backup or different style or spare for a friend will be needed.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,479  
It's best to keep a little something "in your pocket".
IMG_20220405_002202617.jpg

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,480  
I've had 5 different motorcycles which I rode for over 40 years until age related self preservation kicked in. I now ride an electric bicycle, mostly on trails.