Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,521  
Bike week 2022

Weirs beach , NH
7E898373-CD80-4E12-A6FA-0F47129C8481.jpeg

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,522  
Just completed a fly and ride for an Ebay 2002 BMW R1150R in Wilmin :cool: gton, NC. The seller is an engineer, did all his own work, 15,000 miles, runs like new, rode back to Alabama. It's a ball. Got into a duel with a girl on a Suzuki dualsport near Florence, SC. She was filtering through traffic, so I tucked in behind her. We saw 100 MPH a couple of times. That BMW is a rocket. The sweet spot is about 4100RPM or 91MPH. At 100MPH it's not even breathing hard. Don't ask me what I paid but is was south of $3000.00.
Looks like a good deal to me. Rolls along that nice - that saved cash will be useful for speeding tickets :oops: !

Have fun, sounds like the Get It Home run was a blast.

Rgds, D.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,523  
Daughter has just tried and discovered the clutch friction zone. The throttle however is another story. She hits 4000 RPM just getting rolling. More practice needed.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,524  
Just completed a fly and ride for an Ebay 2002 BMW R1150R in Wilmington, NC. The seller is an engineer, did all his own work, 15,000 miles, runs like new, rode back to Alabama. It's a ball. Got into a duel with a girl on a Suzuki dualsport near Florence, SC. She was filtering through traffic, so I tucked in behind her. We saw 100 MPH a couple of times. That BMW is a rocket. The sweet spot is about 4100RPM or 91MPH. At 100MPH it's not even breathing hard. Don't ask me what I paid but is was south of $3000.00.
Wow, funny you mentioned an R model, my BIL went 2 up with my sister on his 5 day since purchase 2015 R Bimmer 1200 and I rode my z900RS today for a little trip to a local dam.

The water is moving through real well.

Attachments

• PXL_20220620_010652830.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220620_010652830.MP.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20220620_015849026.jpg
    PXL_20220620_015849026.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
   / Who rides motorcycles? #1,525  
Just completed a fly and ride for an Ebay 2002 BMW R1150R in Wilmington, NC. The seller is an engineer, did all his own work, 15,000 miles, runs like new, rode back to Alabama. It's a ball......

Wow, funny you mentioned an R model, my BIL went 2 up with my sister on his 5 day since purchase 2015 R.....

BMW's R series Roadsters are fun, standard motorcycles. It would be hard for me to turn down a clean 2010-12, Camhead R1200R to go along with my R100R.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,526  
My first BMW was a box full of broken R50. There is something about the boxer engine that makes it run forever with little maintenance and noise. Those older airheads are still doing fine.

I decided to pressure wash both my 2001 GS and the new 2002 R. Of course I stay away from the electrics and instruments, concentrating on the parts that get dirty like the hubs, wheels under fender parts, oil coolers, crankcase and cylinders. he older GS looks brand new. I blow dry the bikes dry with my leaf blower. A quick coat of wax and 20 minutes later...done.

Here is the hills and woods of Alabama, it is very hot and this 83 year old wants to stay cool so, there is little riding at the moment.

Stay cool and safe out there mates.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,527  
Wow, funny you mentioned an R model, my BIL went 2 up with my sister on his 5 day since purchase 2015 R Bimmer 1200 and I rode my z900RS today for a little trip to a local dam.

The water is moving through real well.
You may know this but be careful filling up the engine oil and watching the slight glass. I'm replacing the clutch on my brother's oilhead because he overfilled the engine oil, and slimmed the clutch—a common owner problem with these bikes.

And keeping the bike discussion alive, a cool, little-known movie is the Best Bar in America.

Last edited:
   / Who rides motorcycles? #1,528  
You may know this but be careful filling up the engine oil and watching the slight glass. I'm replacing the clutch on my brother's oilhead because he overfilled the engine oil, and slimmed the clutch—a common owner problem with these bikes.

And keeping the bike discussion alive, a cool, little-known movie is the Best Bar in America.

Did not know that on that BMW. My BIL has put a lot of miles on his other BMW, a 2008? F800 GS Adventure.

He took it all the way into South America on one ride. I know the Stator has puked a couple times.
Overall been a Good bike I think.

He has wanted the R model for some time. I Got a kick out of the power lift windshield, tire pressure monitor and all the drive modes.

His purchase story is similar to the other forum member, jumped on a plane, owner picked him up and bike was as stated so money changed hands and then he took it on a long maiden ride and over a mountain pass on the trip back home.

So far he likes it a lot.

Been playing bike mechanic as well, just re calibrated my TPS on the z 900RS, they are somewhat known for a snatchy low speed throttle and also a bit clunky gearbox, which I added a shifter needle bearing shaft support for a couple weeks back. Have not missed a shift since and the TPS adjustment did make low speed throttle smoother.
learning a new word "Farkles"

Thanks, for the Movie recommendation , Will check it out, and also tell my BIL about slow filling oil on the new R

Last edited:
   / Who rides motorcycles? #1,529  
Did not know that on that BMW. My BIL has put a lot of miles on his other BMW, a 2008? F800 GS Adventure.

He took it all the way into South America on one ride. I know the Stator has puked a couple times.
Overall been a Good bike I think.

He has wanted the R model for some time. I Got a kick out of the power lift windshield, tire pressure monitor and all the drive modes.

His purchase story is similar to the other forum member, jumped on a plane, owner picked him up and bike was as stated so money changed hands and then he took it on a long maiden ride and over a mountain pass on the trip back home.

So far he likes it a lot.

Been playing bike mechanic as well, just re calibrated my TPS on the z 900RS, they are somewhat known for a snatchy low speed throttle and also a bit clunky gearbox, which I added a shifter needle bearing shaft support for a couple weeks back. Have not missed a shift since and the TPS adjustment did make low speed throttle smoother.
learning a new word "Farkles"

Thanks, for the Movie recommendation , Will check it out, and also tell my BIL about slow filling oil on the new R

Years ago out riding on some B-road in the foothills of Wyoming, I rode up on a rise, and there in the middle of the road, blocking both ways, up on the center stand was a guy laying down atop his R100. Pulling up to him, the man sat up and exclaimed, "I've been waiting for hours for somebody to come along and take my picture!"

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,530  
I've posted photos of my other Ariels on here before so now it is the turn of my 1950 NG. This is a single cylinder, 350 cc machine. It certainly won't go up a long, steep hill in fourth gear but puttering around the backroads on it is a lot of fun. Speeds of 50 - 55 mph are comfortable but much more than that makes it feel like the motor is forcing a bit too much for a 72 year old machine. In the background of the photo is my relatively new, 50 year old International tractor.
DSC03293.JPG