Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,901  
I run my high beam and a set of yellow spot beams under my main light all day every day. Anything to get people's attention. Too many people are playing with screens, ½ high, or just not paying attention!

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,902  
I run my high beam and a set of yellow spot beams under my main light all day every day. Anything to get people's attention. Too many people are playing with screens, ½ high, or just not paying attention!
Nothing like blinding oncoming drivers so they spend conscious effort to look away from you.

But, you are the most important person on the road so while high beams are illegal at close range even in daytime, you are the exception.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,903  
Nothing like blinding oncoming drivers so they spend conscious effort to look away from you.

But, you are the most important person on the road so while high beams are illegal at close range even in daytime, you are the exception.
Come on, I have came across oncoming vehicles who forget their spot light or light bar on during the day time and never got blinded looking at them in fact it is not worse then the sun reflecting on shiny chrome. When I took my motorcycle course they told us its a good idea to keep your high beam on and I took a habit of doing it... nothing worse then looking in the other lane to pass a slow vehicle while driving (in a vehicle) on the hwy and think I have lots of time and half way through you realize it is a motorcycle and he his a lot closer then you thought, driving on high beam minimize that.

Last edited:
   / Who rides motorcycles? #1,904  

I am not blinding anyone during the day with a single high beam and the yellow lights only draw attention due to an unusual pattern of lighting (proven they help people judge your speed and distance better than a single light). If a driver is blinded so easily maybe they need to reconsider daylight driving.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,905  
Twice I've had one of their ass go under my bars. I could hear their hooves on the pavement. Pucker moment for sure. But in daylight, the extra lights don't help a lot with them. But I do notice cars tend to notice and get out of the way faster :D

I am at work at 5am, so I do my commute in the dark, just when the deer start moving.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,906  
Come on, I have came across oncoming vehicles who forget their spot light or light bar on during the day time and never got blinded looking at them in fact it is not worse then the sun reflecting on shiny chrome. When I took my motorcycle course they told us its a good idea to keep your high beam on and I took a habit of doing it... nothing worse then looking in the other lane to pass a slow vehicle while driving (in a vehicle) on the hwy and think I have lots of time and half way through you realize it is a motorcycle and he his a lot closer then you thought, driving on high beam minimize that.
Another High-Beam Pilot here too.....

The other thing I'll selectively add, is lateral movement, within my lane, esp. on long straight stretches. Light, Colour, Movement (vs. a Static oncoming point of light, on a narrow object) can hopefully distract an oncoming driver from their phone, long enough to notice a MC is there.

They were somewhat popular years ago, but I haven't seen a high-beam modulator on a MC in a long time. That ^ was really noticeable, and should be less objectionable to the retina-safety nannies.

Rgds, D.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,908  
The other thing I'll selectively add, is lateral movement, within my lane, esp. on long straight stretches. Light, Colour, Movement (vs. a Static oncoming point of light, on a narrow object) can hopefully distract an oncoming driver from their phone, long enough to notice a MC is there.

They were somewhat popular years ago, but I haven't seen a high-beam modulator on a MC in a long time. That ^ was really noticeable, and should be less objectionable to the retina-safety nannies.
Because real safety studies found they did nothing and sometimes made things worse.

There are those with photosensitive epilepsy severely affected by flashing lights. There are those who suspect everyone is susceptible to a degree. Ask any first responder with much time on the job about stories of parked emergency vehicles with all lights ablaze being rammed by a driver who claims, "I didn't see it!"

Then there is the issue of confusion from a flashing light. Is it closer or is it farther away?

A flashing headlight in rearview mirror will teach most people to quit looking in the rear view mirror. I know this to be true for myself, I will slow, and slow, and slow to stop until the idiot goes around.

And the question as to why a motorcycle is allowed a flashing headlight when only emergency vehicles are permitted? So the uninformed motorist is to believe your motorcycle is now an emergency vehicle? Or is it that somehow you are better than others on the road and deserve special treatment because your choices put you at greater risk?

The "modulated headlight" regulation was written without review. "This sounds like a good idea so I will make it law today!"

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,909  
A couple years ago with Harley discontinuing their iconic air cooled Sportster after over 60 years I thought it was time I look into picking one up. So I'd been casually looking for a couple years on Facebook marketplace, etc. but I seldom saw unmolested ones equipped how I want, which was:
1) Stock or mostly so, no motor mods, etc, low miles preferred (under 10K).
2) 1200.
3) cast wheels so no inner tubes.
4) twin front rotors
5) mid controls, not forward.
6) 3+ gallon tank minimum, prefer larger.
7) carburetor ok but prefer FI
8) Full suspension with 13" shocks, not a low.
9) 2004+ for smoother, rubber mounted motor.

Long story short one popped up that was exactly what I'd been looking for, it's a 2008 XL1200R. The only thing it had I don't care for are aftermarket slip-ons which are too loud, but stock mufflers are easy to find and inexpensive. It was a little more than I was hoping to pay, especially given the original tires needed replaced as well as the 4 year old battery, but it was a very clean, one owner (passed away), that had been dealer serviced every year. It has a 4 1/2 gallon tank and is FI.

Anyway yesterday I took it out for 40 miles or so to warm the oils before changing them and what a delightful motorcycle for casual riding. I pulled over on the way back and snapped this pic.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,910  
I have been looking at them lately, but it is just going to have to have wire wheels. Cast on a harley is just wrong to my eye.