Who want to chat about plasma cutters?

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #71  
Ordered the LOTOS LTP5000D plasma machine today with Prime Day pricing. I like the pilot arc starting .. which should help my learning curve. IMHO consumables are reasonably priced.

It will have its own dedicated 220 VAC outlet in shop but .. I think the ability to operate on 120 VAC will be handy for portability so .. ordered the adapter cord.

I'd be interested to hear from owners of this plasma cutter.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #72  
Took a vocational welding course some time ago to improve my welding and fabrication skills. They had an early plasma cutter given to them by TVA. It was slightly smaller than a VW bug. Instructor said it cut good but the electros cost $400 to cut about 50’ of 1/2” plate steel or aluminum. They have come a long way since then.
Early cutters had solid hafnium electros. Expensive, controlled, monitored and about the only element that can be that close to plasma. New machines encase or extruded the finest thread of hafnium in oxygen free copper to bring down cost to make durable consumables. Plasma temperatures are nuclear hot like the sun. Cuts anything electrically conductive.

Oxy/Act can barely get above the melting point of steel. It cuts steel chemically by introducing oxygen to hot steel causing immediate oxidation (black rust) releasing large amount of heat energy. Iron is rare that it’s oxide melts lower than the metal. Can’t cut aluminum even with lower metal melting point.

Oxy/Propane cuts steel fine and great for rosebud heating. Scrapyard I frequent uses liquid oxygen/ propane torches. A neutral flame not hot enough to weld steel. Exception is forge welding which relies on both heat and kinetic energy to get the molecules moving fast enough to shake hands.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters?
Alright guys, so I got me this Besarc plasma cutter, complete with good and bad news.

First the bad: it ain't acting right...this thing sputters and also cuts out at times. Full disclosure, I have not run it on 240v yet. But on 120v, I tried all sorts of amp/psi combos (both recommended and otherwise). I got 2 additional water/air separators installed, as well as the one already mounted on the machine, so it's definitely not a moisture issue. I tried it with the consumables that came with the machine, as well as with additional set I bought (0.030 nozzle hole for 120v), same story.

The good news though is that Amazon didn't even fuss too much about it when I contacted them, just issued me a full refund and let me keep the machine. So now I got me a free plasma cutter that I need to tinker with to get it right.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #74  
Alright guys, so I got me this Besarc plasma cutter, complete with good and bad news.

First the bad: it ain't acting right...this thing sputters and also cuts out at times. Full disclosure, I have not run it on 240v yet. But on 120v, I tried all sorts of amp/psi combos (both recommended and otherwise). I got 2 additional water/air separators installed, as well as the one already mounted on the machine, so it's definitely not a moisture issue. I tried it with the consumables that came with the machine, as well as with additional set I bought (0.030 nozzle hole for 120v), same story.

The good news though is that Amazon didn't even fuss too much about it when I contacted them, just issued me a full refund and let me keep the machine. So now I got me a free plasma cutter that I need to tinker with to get it right.
Getting tired of all the dust/mess from cutoff wheels and my metal chop saw is getting tired. I started researching Plasma cutters. I was narrowing it down to the Bestarc, a search on this forum lead me here. Gene did you figure out the issue with yours?

Thanks,
Mike

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #75  
possibly a ground issue. Are your parts clean?

Getting tired of all the dust/mess from cutoff wheels and my metal chop saw is getting tired. I started researching Plasma cutters. I was narrowing it down to the Bestarc, a search on this forum lead me here. Gene did you figure out the issue with yours?

Thanks,
Mike
Hey Mike yup I sure did, I figured out that it just doesn't like 120v. It will cut, but it won't be a clean cut and the experience is frustrating, no matter what settings or nozzle hole sizes used. But on 220v, it does great.

This guy here, he's got lots of info on plasma cutters, especially the cheaper ones. Here's a relevant vid:

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #77  
Hey Mike yup I sure did, I figured out that it just doesn't like 120v. It will cut, but it won't be a clean cut and the experience is frustrating, no matter what settings or nozzle hole sizes used. But on 220v, it does great.

This guy here, he's got lots of info on plasma cutters, especially the cheaper ones. Here's a relevant vid:

Thanks Gene! I have 220v.
I‘ve watched some of his videos, he’s entertaining!

Mike

BTW Mike and others, if you got a CUT50 type plasma cutter with pilot arc like this Bestarc, make sure when you order the consumables it's labeled AG-60P. The regular AG-60 has a different ceramic cup, and the stand-off bracket fitting them puts the nozzle tip to far away from the cutting surface.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #79  
IMG_0455.JPG

911 Motorsports makes a handy tub table and stencils for accurate hand cuts. Dry captures about 75% of smoke and all the dross. Wet almost 100%.

/ Who want to chat about plasma cutters? #80  
I’m currently comparing the Bestarc CUT50 and the Lotos LTP5000D, Lotos is a little more expensive but dosen’t come with the 120 power cord, (not really a big issue unless I needed it out of my shop, but still a consideration).
Anyone think one is better than the other?

Thanks,
Mike