Whole Lotta Orange Down There

/ Whole Lotta Orange Down There #21  
Thom, you're having ALL THE FUN, leave some for us!!! Man, what a sweet little machine. 31K? WAY less than I thought as I was checking out their website. I think there's one in my (distant?) future.

A few questions - could you please compare/contrast that machine to an autogyro and a helicopter? How much power, if any, goes to the top rotor vs. the pusher prop? Does the Subaru engine use timing belts, or chains? (A friend who was equally impressed by your machine just told me about a Porsche 911 engine that was modified for aero use, with chain drive being one of the mods). What's the cruising range, and what's your longest flight to date, and the longest flight that you might have planned? Lastly, what can I do about the jealous rage that has come over me?

On using Amsoil - don't you know that's just snake oil sold by conniving racketeers engaged in a modern-day Ponzi scheme? Have you thought about switching to Quaker State?

Thanks for sharing the pics Thom, great stuff.

Yours truly, John D/CT_Tree_Guy/"Amsoil Lover"*

* I guess I could have just as easily been branded a "RedLine Lover" or a "Royal Purple Lover", but my local NAPA didn't happen to carry them. LOL

/ Whole Lotta Orange Down There
LOL!!!

Only the main propeller is powered by the Suburu engine, the top rotor and rear rotor both operate from wind drag only. The prop is composite and driven by a polymeric aramid fiber belt, not sure about the engine timing belt, but will find out.

It holds 25 gallons of premium and uses about 5 gallons per hour for about a 4 hour run with reserve. Longest flight has been 3.5 hrs.

Sope out their FAQ for more detailed info:

http://www.rotaryairforce.com/raf2000/faq.html

They also sponsor a members forum, so look over some of the posts to gleam more insider info:

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41

/ Whole Lotta Orange Down There #23  
Cool web site, thanks for posting it.

How is the fishing on your place?

The bass have been great all year long up to 10 pounds, but now the waterfowl are in and the rods & reels have been replaced with Browning Citori O/U 12 gauge 3 1/2" #3 tungsten steel shot..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's a good shot of the entire rig - we call it the Yellow Bee! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 782791-Captain Dave GyroTaxia.jpg
    782791-Captain Dave GyroTaxia.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 345
   / Whole Lotta Orange Down There #26  
Sky, Is that you at the helm? What are you totally NUTS! That things a death trap /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Whole Lotta Orange Down There #27  
Yeah Thom, for god's sake, be careful! You're the most reliable source of information that I've got! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Whole Lotta Orange Down There #28  
Definitly cool... Gives you a different perspective of your land too, I bet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif..Not a lot arround you, looks like it might take a little to get used to the sensation, but scouting capabilities would be incredible. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif How's the hog population? We used to hunt Avon park, Three Lakes and RiverRanch quite a bit... They were ate up with hogs. We got tired of hunting the Glades for years without seeing much game and traveled north, though it looks like your a bit further up.

I'm also pretty surprised about the cost. What are the lisence requirements?

/ Whole Lotta Orange Down There #29  
very nice skypup, i must say i'm just a little bit envious /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I know the Avon Park-River Ranch area quite well.

All four of the wild boar skulls hanging on my barn were shot within 100 yards of this photo, largest hog weighed 550 pounds, a real Mean Sow /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 783029-Amsoil 5W 30 Barn2a.jpg
    783029-Amsoil 5W 30 Barn2a.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 214