Whole wihouse fan - Remote control.

/ Whole wihouse fan - Remote control. #1  

wedge40

Veteran Member
I'm looking at installing a whole house fan, but the one I'm looking at has a toggle switch to choose low-off-high for the speed. Anybody know of an aftermarket remote control switch I could use.

/ Whole wihouse fan - Remote control. #2  
Not sure about the switch, but make sure your fan is good quality. My parents had an ancient attic fan that was great. Dad went up and "worked on it" during the last year of his alzheimers, and ruined it. Anyway, the replacement I installed was one of the attic fans from HD or Lowes. This thing was so incredible loud! It sounded like a turbine and did not move much air either. The older unit had a huge low rpm motor and just hummed along, but the new one spins so fast and just made tons of noise. We sold the house shortly after, so I do not know if the newer unit lasted.
You might try some of for the remote, used in ceiling fans. You would have to check amperage thou.
Dave

/ Whole wihouse fan - Remote control. #3  
most of the whole house fans i have seen use a 1/4 hp motor, which pulls pretty low amperage: so any remote switch rated at say, 8-10 amps would work: i put a rotary switch on ours that goes, off, high, low: has worked for 20+ years, even though we never use the low position: if we want air flow, we want air flow!!
heehaw

/ Whole wihouse fan - Remote control. #4  
I put one like this (2 channel) on my cabin gen to remote start

You have to be electrically inclined and need a 12vdc supply but it works great!!!!

HD4Combo.jpg

Auto Roll 4 Channel RF Remote Control

/ Whole wihouse fan - Remote control. #5  
thats pretty slick..where did you find that remote unit??
heehaw

/ Whole wihouse fan - Remote control. #6  
Here in Central Texas they recommend a solar unit with a built in thermostat built in that way it only runs during high temps.

I do not have one, but know several people who do. They love them and say they beat the heck out of their old electric units.

/ Whole wihouse fan - Remote control. #7  
thats pretty slick..where did you find that remote unit??
heehaw

click the blue auto roll link

I have an onan generator and saw their remote kit for it $300.00:eek:.

and decided to roll my own

I used this remote
Auto Roll 2 Channel RF Remote Control

one channel for start one for stop.

hd2rx.jpg

I used 2 alarm relays to carry the current I was afraid of burning out the ones on the board.

My investment was about $50.00 plus some wiring and an enclosure.

/ Whole wihouse fan - Remote control. #8  
to clarify... "whole house fan" are you talking about a) attic mounted fan to draw hot air out of the attic or b) a fan that is mounted in the ceiling that draws air from the outside thru open windows up to the attic...

just wondering..

Brian

/ Whole wihouse fan - Remote control.
whole house fan is one that draws hot air out of the house, attic fan draws hot air out of the attic.
I'm looking at a whole house fan.

Wedge

/ Whole wihouse fan - Remote control. #10  
If you setup a couple of attic ventilator fan that is thermo temp control to cut on/off when reaches a certain temperature in the attic, have them to draw out the hot air, And also along with having a whole-house attic fan to draw the air from through-out the house into the attic, This is about the best efficiency you can expect, :thumbsup:

when using a Whole house fan system without the attic ventilators you should be sure not to open windows near the vented eves of the overhang of your house,;) otherwise the fan will draw the musky attic smell back into the house, Wifey's don't like this:( Its best to open a window the furthest end from the fan and on a Gable end away from any louvered vents, etc,etc, you might also think of shutting off A/C -heating registers, these fans can and will draw from ever open crack from anywhere, even through the flu of a fireplace or wood stove. Them old ashes sure can make a mess across the floor:D

Not really sure the need of having a remote:confused:
I have our wired directly to 20 amp wall switch, although I'm sure when the heat flash hits while watching a ballgame it would be convenient to have a remote:D