Why are people in Indianapolis going postal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #281  
Just me I think I'd prefer to do as the Romans did (i.e. the same thing everywhere they went and those who didn't like it.....well, they had a problem that was theirs) 😇

Though seeing as how a couple branches of my family seem to have originated from places that held off the Roman Empire, and one branch apparently from the region that played a part in bringing the Roman Empire to an end ..... this "barbarian" may have inherited a few traits 😁😇
The Romans were as efficient as they were viscous. As they conquered western europe they would enter a town or village, pick 20 younger adult men at random and crucify them in public.

Similar to dropping the bomb on japan, ended the war and probably saved many lives on both sides but.....if you were one of the guys who got crucified...different story.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #282  
The reason he was still able to purchase firearms without any red flags, was because after that first incident where the police confiscated his shotgun that he willingly gave up, the case was turned over to a prosecutor. The prosecutor never put it before a judge. Only a judge can rule on it.

No judge. No ruling. No red flag. No problem purchasing more firearms.
The prosecutor didn't put itr before a judge because there wasn't any evidence to back up the charge.
He COULD have gotten his shotgun back but declined.
Bought rifles instead, LEAGALLY .

MSM doesn't want to report this because it doesn't fit the mission.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #283  
The Romans were as efficient as they were viscous. As they conquered western europe they would enter a town or village, pick 20 younger adult men at random and crucify them in public.

Similar to dropping the bomb on japan, ended the war and probably saved many lives on both sides but.....if you were one of the guys who got crucified...different story.
True ...though from what I understand after they conquered a place Roman rule wasn't exactly a pleasant existence either with it's highly stratified society. So it could be a matter of opinion as to whether those 20 were the unfortunate ones or the lucky ones (horrify agony for a few hours, or a longer miserable existence of servitude? - not the easiest of choices).

Far better to just keep them out in the first place; though not an easy task -- and likely an impossible the closer the place was to Rome (seeing how little of Europe managed to remain out of Roman control).

Also depends a bit on the time period, but even beyond Rome much of history tends to be a rather bloody tale frequently filled with misery (particularly in the area of influence after the fall of a hegemony) and a few rays of hope and achievment shining through.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #284  
I was held at shotgun point in a DQ parking lot when I was 16 (1977). It was a strange experience. Nothing I'd wish on anyone else.
Know the feeling, twice stopped by LEO's with guns drawn.
I st was @ 3:am and when I had pulled over as soon as I realized the siren was meant for me.
LEO's an both sides of my car with weapons pointed at me.
Did I ever reach for the sky FAST.

The explanation was that a LEO had been shot 30 miles across town and maybe had a car like mine. No apologies.

The other time a municipal LEO used his siren so I slowed, lit my flashers and pulled over at an open drive so as not block traffic.
Logical, I thought.
LEO came at me with weapon drawn.
He was stopping me as I had some snow covering my tags!
(like I plow the roads and check my tags every few miles)

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #285  
Why is this happening? Because our justice system has gone soft. Commit a horrible crime today and the worst thing that happens to you is you get thrown into a prison with free food, free shelter, TV, a gym, and your laundry done for you.

You can call it "old fashioned" if you want, but our grandparents were correct. If they still swung these people from an oak tree in the town square suddenly a lot of folks with wild ideas would change their song.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #286  

The irony is today, people are complaining about sports being involved in politics (can you say players kneeling at the national anthem or black players involved in professional sports addressing the the "Black Lives Matter" issue in our own socitey?).

You want to look at history? The reality is sports and politics were even involved during the Roman times.

The issue is people look at todays issues and assume that the issues were never addressed (or happened) in past history, beause as a people we never look at past history.

This is where I have lost all respect for Brett Farve both as a man and a pro football player.

Last edited:
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #287  
Why is this happening? Because our justice system has gone soft. Commit a horrible crime today and the worst thing that happens to you is you get thrown into a prison with free food, free shelter, TV, a gym, and your laundry done for you.

You can call it "old fashioned" if you want, but our grandparents were correct. If they still swung these people from an oak tree in the town square suddenly a lot of folks with wild ideas would change their song.
Sorry, you line of thinking is wrong. Our justice system has not gone soft at all.

You want old fashion justice, all you need to do is look at the amount of black people lynched from a tree without justice.

What YOU fail to reconize is that freedom for all is just as much as a pain in the butt to apply as justice for all. Seems like this is your world...

Last edited:
   / Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #288  
I think our whole country has an epidemic of moral decay. The golden rule is not in the least understood by a large percentage of the population. There are many Christians (even devout ones) who are Christian in name only and not in actions. There is widespread polarity and unacceptance (even hatred) of anyone who disagrees with you. The political stance of many people is don't burden me with doing anything that helps others. It is one's own responsibility to help themselves, even if they are unable to (i.e. the extreme lack of mental health assistance). The result is extreme frustration that ends up in people going postal.

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #289  
Sorry, you line of thinking is wrong. Our justice system has not gone soft at all.

You want old fashion justice, all you need to do is look at the amount of black people lynched from a tree without justice.
Not trying to argue, but I hear that about lynching and wonder has it even happened in the last 50 years? (without the perpetrators being prosecuted/punished - if they were then justice could arguably have been achieved since the illegal act of lynching/murder was addressed)

Though there is something to be said for the public seeing justice (true justice that is) reach a conclusion..... far too often criminal cases/stats are published without providing information on the conclusion. Was there an apprehension? a prosecution? ...not covering the conclusion would seem to leave a vaccuum of information that could easily be filled with an assumption the perpetrator got away with it.

That being said the criminal justice system seems to have gone about as wonky as the rest of society - somethings are punished more far severely than they probably should, while other (potentially more serious) transgressions aren't punished (or even brought to trial).

Can't say I see things getting better any time soon though as there's entirely too much money and power in propagating injustice and re-igniting old conflicts/transgressions/failures. (n)

/ Why are people in Indianapolis going postal. #290  
Can't say I see things getting better any time soon though as there's entirely too much money and power in propagating injustice and re-igniting old conflicts/transgressions/failures. (n)
We grow, and we have growing pains.

Over time, things have gotten better, it's just we see so much bad, we forget about the good IMO.

If things kept getting bad over time with societies in general, our country most likely wouldn't of made past 1870 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.