Why Did This Weld Fail

/ Why Did This Weld Fail #1  

Monster5601

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 R4 Tires
I am interested in hearing opinions on why this weld failed from the experienced welders. I hope the pictures have enough detail to allow a diagnose. If not, let me know and I can snap a few more pictures.

***EDIT***
Thanks for all the responses and advice. To answer a few question brought out in the thread:

This is a side link for a CAT 1 three point.
It had just a few hours of use before it failed using a Bush Hog 5 foot box blade.
It was fabricated state side by a hydraulic side link provider.
The clevis mounts at about a 14 degree angle to the ram.
No, I am not going to fix this, I will either return for refund or take to a local welding shop for repair.

What I am looking for now and from what I'm reading in the thread is this is fixable once the ram is ground to an angle so that there is 100% butt made between the clevis and the rod.

Thanks for all your input, I am not that knowledgeable on welding.

Attachments

• P1010606 (Large).JPG
    P1010606 (Large).JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,137
  • P1010605 (Large).JPG
    P1010605 (Large).JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,019
Last edited:
   / Why Did This Weld Fail #2  
Good clear photos, It broke straight thru the welding material...Interesting, I'm not a pro welder, so I'll just watch this..

/ Why Did This Weld Fail #3  
Doesn't look like you had enough penetration on that cylinder boss. You might try putting more heat to the boss when you run the bead. If possible, preheating the cylinder boss might be worthwhile.

/ Why Did This Weld Fail #4  
I am not a pro either but I'll give it my thought.

It looks like it could have been improper process or technique.

Cylinder rods are hard material. AND they are chrome plated.

You cannot just grab a welder and weld to cylinder rod. The stuff (again, I am not a pro) probabally needs pre-heated or annealed BEFORE it can be welded.

And then RE-hardened once finished.

I know the same is similar if you ever try to weld on things like allen wrenches, taps, drills, etc. The material too hard. It doesnt break AT the weld, rather right beside it.

/ Why Did This Weld Fail #5  
I'm just gonna guess at this ... I'm thinking not hot enough to get good penetration to the metals. Basicly the weld was like using JB Weld ... I'll be interested to hear what the pro welders have to say.

/ Why Did This Weld Fail #6  
The real welders have been after me as of late. :(

Here goes.

Its a Cold joint. No penetration. Turn up your amps and move a little slower.

Maybe wrong rod as well. 6011 or 7018 if you are arc welding. 6013 Makes a brittle weld with little strength.

Now its time for the real welders to speak up.

/ Why Did This Weld Fail #7  
No amount of heat increase will solve that problem. That weld broke because of poor design of the components to be assembled. That is about as good as it gets for an example of poor quality from some un-named asian country.

We can feel fortunate those folks aren't designing US and Canadian pipe lines to run under Nebraska. YET

/ Why Did This Weld Fail #8  
Disclaimer: Not a pro.

First I would grind off the old weld on the stirrup and the cylinder shaft.

Then grind a bevel on the cylinder shaft - maybe 45 degrees to about 3/8" depth. Weld the stirrup back onto the shaft using 6011 (or 6010 if you have DC and the rod). Cap it with several passes of 7018.

It really doesn't matter what caused it to break. The challenge is getting it back into service so it doesn't happen again.

You could always take it to a welding shop and have them fix it. Get recommendations from locals as to which welding shop does quality work.

/ Why Did This Weld Fail #9  
From what I think I can see.... the rod originally had a full circumference weld to the yoke. The rod subsequently broke at the rod side of the weld & was rewelded with about 1/2 the area of the original weld and minimal penetration then put back into service ?????
I would recommend buying a new rod with yoke or (what I'd actually do first) grind the rod to a 45 degree point to about 1/2 it's diameter, preheat both parts to about 400 degrees in an oven, and reweld. Post weld I'd wrap with insulation to alow a slow cool. OH & I'd disassemble the cylinder before heating, grinding, welding. This is a job for an experienced welder. MikeD74T

GW Looks like we were typing at the same time...

/ Why Did This Weld Fail #10  
Definatly a Cold Weld. This can easily be welded to where it wont break. Tack it and Tig It.