Why do I keep blowing return filters

/ Why do I keep blowing return filters #1  

jakell2010

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 Cub Cadet 5364D
Installed a return line hydraulic filter on my back hoe, and I bow the filter apart in less than one minute, the input pressure is set at 2100 psi,,,,

I thought the return lines were supposed to be low pressure

It's on a Kubota B2020 with a chinese hoe LW-7, the hydraulics are looped off the PB from the loader valve, I set the filter up with QC on both sides so I can put it in and take it out as needed

/ Why do I keep blowing return filters #2  
IF the BH is plumbed right then you have a restriction in return flow (too small a hose, fitting and/or QC) or pressure rise due to something else downstream operating (in ex: 3ph)

You may need to add a pressure guage in return flow (tee'd in just after filter) to determine root cause and prove out your successfull repair

/ Why do I keep blowing return filters #3  
Explain all the hoses on the BH, and how many hoses are used, and exactly where did you put the filter.

If you put it in series before the 3pt, then when you used the 3pt, you pressurized the complete circuit . .

Did you put the filter on the OUT/return hose on the BH? Is the PB on the BH going to the QD, before going to the 3pt.?

/ Why do I keep blowing return filters #4  
A few thoughts:

- Is there any chance you are on the pressure side, not the return side?

- What's the pressure rating of the filter assembly? Depending on your return hoses and fittings, a 100-200 PSI back pressure is conceivable, and might be too much for the filter.

- What's the flow on the hydraulics? Are your quick connects, filter, and other fittings sized appropriately? Whatever your flow rate is, having everything (especially on the return) sized up one size is probably prudent.

- Be sure your return is actually going straight to the tank, and not part of the power-beyond circuit. If it's part of the power-beyond circuit, then operation of anything downstream can create full pressure in your return line.

- As suggested, a pressure gauge is probably your best friend for figuring this out. I rigged one up tee'd off a length of hose with quick connects on each end. It's easy to insert it in any hose line with disconnects to see what's going on.

/ Why do I keep blowing return filters #5  
jakell2010m

Where exactly did you put the return filter?

Was the output of the filter going to tank/reservoir?

/ Why do I keep blowing return filters #6  
I had this same problem. Assuming you did put the filter on the return side as stated, check this. The QD's on my Kioti remotes have a screen in them. The screen had become fouled and was providing enough restriction to blow the filter. Everything worked fine, just the filter would rupture. Just a thought, may not be your issue at all. Good Luck