Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care?

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #11  
O' Reilly's & NAPA are local. I have to drive an extra 15 miles to get to Wallmart. There is no shortages at any of these three stores. It must be a regional thing.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #12  
I spent 3 hours and $20 worth of gas a while back trying to find a couple of 1/2x3-1/2 Stainless Steel bolts in decent quality. By decent I was willing to settle for 18-8 grade. The only stores in town that had ANY stainless in that size was Ace Hardware. I asked what grade they sold and they said they didn't know so I drove to the store and went to the bin with a magnet. Sure enough every SS bolt in the bin was magnetic. Not what I'm going to stick in the transom of a boat that will see salt water.

My want had nothing to do with cost. I simply wanted a good quality part. The size was even a compromise since I really wanted a 3-1/4" length. I tried calling a few places and got no help. One girl at a auto parts store told me to come look in the bin for myself. Two places said they had what I wanted and when I got there neither did. I was able to check stock for a few places that would have been open on Monday and neither had it in stock according to their web sites.

I ended up coming home and ordering 316 grade in the exact size I wanted from McMaster Carr. Their packaging for matching nuts and washers were 10 per pack so I went ahead and got 10 bolts just in case I needed them in the future. I spent $48 for my task that needed 2 bolts, 4 washers, and 2 lock nuts. Had it in 3 days instead of their usual next day.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #13  
Do you have a Fastenal branch near you? Pretty handy store for nuts and bolts.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #14  
I would love to buy locally, and do when practical. And some of our local retailers are really quite excellent. But so many retailers are killing themselves. As the OP experienced, poor stock and useless employees. And their answer is "we can order it for you". Screw that. I can order it and not waste my time going to their store twice; once to find they don't have it, and a second time to pick up an order? Are you kidding me?

A retail store brings value in only two possible ways; inventory and knowledge. As soon as they develop a track record of not having either, I stop going. Otherwise all they are doing is wasting my time.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #15  
I spent 3 hours and $20 worth of gas a while back trying to find a couple of 1/2x3-1/2 Stainless Steel bolts in decent quality. By decent I was willing to settle for 18-8 grade. The only stores in town that had ANY stainless in that size was Ace Hardware. I asked what grade they sold and they said they didn't know so I drove to the store and went to the bin with a magnet. Sure enough every SS bolt in the bin was magnetic. Not what I'm going to stick in the transom of a boat that will see salt water.

My want had nothing to do with cost. I simply wanted a good quality part. The size was even a compromise since I really wanted a 3-1/4" length. I tried calling a few places and got no help. One girl at a auto parts store told me to come look in the bin for myself. Two places said they had what I wanted and when I got there neither did. I was able to check stock for a few places that would have been open on Monday and neither had it in stock according to their web sites.

I ended up coming home and ordering 316 grade in the exact size I wanted from McMaster Carr. Their packaging for matching nuts and washers were 10 per pack so I went ahead and got 10 bolts just in case I needed them in the future. I spent $48 for my task that needed 2 bolts, 4 washers, and 2 lock nuts. Had it in 3 days instead of their usual next day.
Business goes to the companies that delivery the good - not as in USP or FexEx delivery, but in terms of having the products you need and one way or another getting them into your hands at an acceptable price.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #16  
Do you have a Fastenal branch near you? Pretty handy store for nuts and bolts.

In my experience they’re sky high. Tractor supply and Rural King for regular stuff and Fastenal as a last ditch effort. Rural King has by far a better selection than tractor supply or Lowes at least the local stores here.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #17  
Grainger still provides excellent service and prices with accounts not bad and in some cases cannot be beat with national account...

I can often order and have next day and never a shipping charge.

Summary might be Hope Springs Eternal or One Size Doesn't Fit All.

Several Go-To places near me have folded with many going back to the 1940's... they simply could not make the transition after the founder or founder's children passed... very rare for the third generation to take over... most are show me the money and have no real ties to the business operation.

The local ACE covered an entire city block... they really did have everything with long term employees... Floyd in plumbing was 79 and a master plumber got bored and worked the plumbing section the last 15 years... similar in electrical...

Of the 7 hardware stores around when I started only one is left and it is small with lots crammed in... but same for grocery stores, etc... either fled the city or shuttered.

These types of businesses are really a dying breed.

My own family business started by Grandfather in 1942 made it 70 years but closed at the third generation... the grand kids have better options than a 6 day work week...

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #18  
“Local” for me is at least 20 miles in any direction. One hardware store I used to frequent has been pushing their “online” service; order and it will be ready when you pick it up. They don’t seem to understand that if I’m going to order something online I’m NOT going to drive 45 miles to pick it up; it’s going to be delivered to my door at a considerable savings over their prices. (30% for Dewalt power tools, for instance.)
Upper level management developed a new floor plan which requires you to go through a “maze” lined with trinkets to get to the cash register. Apparently they make a lot of sales with it but there are also customers telling the manager that they won’t be back.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #19  
I haven't been clothes shopping in 20 years; try finding anything in 3XL Tall. Carhart, Cabela's, and Filson online is the only way to go. I'm a huge Amazon shopper as well, no more shlepping around the big box guys either.

/ Why do we keep driving to far away stores that are understocked, understaffed and don't care? #20  
250 mile round trip through the mountains to get to the Big stores. I shopped locally for 58 years with only the occasional foray to the Big City.

Amazon has been a blessing for us because everything is delivered right to the front door now. Amazon prices are still 20-75% cheaper than buying locally. With a fixed income, every bit of savings helps.