Why I do not garden

/ Why I do not garden #21  
I never have put a pencil to it,......but.......I know that I have raised more stuff in my gardens that would far exceed the dollars involved. I load my pickup with bushel baskets full of most everything and give it away to neighbors...as well as serve my extended family.

If us hobby gardeners were not out in the dirt, would we being going to exercise appointments?? driving around looking for something to do??? or bore some poor soul??....maybe more trips to the doctor, who tells me to get out and exercise??... Put that into the calculations maybe.

"To each is own" is an old song and I respect the difference.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Why I do not garden #22  
@shooterdon I completely respect your decision. I hated canning as a kid and other than jellies, pickles, or salsa, I would not can now. Freezing is easier.

The money today is moot. If I have a garden, it gives me some enjoyment and is one more thing I don't need society to do FOR me.

One zucchini plant can produce enough for everyone in your section, ok maybe quarter-section.

/ Why I do not garden #23  
I am not turning soil by hand, so if I bought a cheap tiller it would cost $600, add a fence for another $250 and 100 canning jars for $100 plus lids for $20. Call it $1000 with seeds etc. Even at "retail" prices I can buy 2000 cans of veggies. If I can 100 jars a year I can buy 20 years worth without doing any work.

in my case, lids are $.20 each and cost as much as a can of veggies. Even if I got two uses out of a lid, it would still be 50% of the cost.

Growing/canning veggies is a labor of love. For me, a waste of time, effort and money.
Gardening isn't for everyone. Agreed, it will take many years to break even if you can if you need to buy supplies new. We lucked out, and most of the jars we have were either given to us, from the "free" table at the dump or picked up cheap at a flea market. I bought a used tiller for $50 on CL. Works fine.
The difference, as others have noted it's more about the taste than saving money. Other than corn, most commercial canned vegetables taste like crap. Way too much salt and other preservatives. Our own are so much tastier.

Am I correct in assuming from your screen name that you hunt? While I have no issues with others doing it, to me it sounds every bit as tedious as you find gardening. All for meat that tastes like an old shoe. Some like game meat, personally I don't.

If it’s something you enjoy it’s not really work. We don’t can though. It’s a lot of work and takes space to store. We take the easy way out and use store bought stuff for 9 months out of the year too.
Gardening isn't all that much hard work other than weeding. We do can/freeze though. We generally get so much of certain vegetables that we'd need to eat them 3 meals a day for the time they're productive. And other than the early stuff like lettuce, peas, etc. everything seems to be ready all at the same time. Nice to be able to enjoy the harvest out of season too.

/ Why I do not garden #24  
I love tomatoes but they have to be fresh out of the garden. None of the "shipped from the south" red hard balls for me. I can buy fresh home-grown tomatoes at the store but they are very expensive.

/ Why I do not garden #25  
I love tomatoes but they have to be fresh out of the garden. None of the "shipped from the south" red hard balls for me. I can buy fresh home-grown tomatoes at the store but they are very expensive.
I always laugh at the “greenhouse ripened” tomatoes they sell in the store, still attached to the vine like a bunch of grapes. I have never seen them all ripen at once that way.
Well, maybe that one time at the orchard, when they were sprayed with ethylene. :D

/ Why I do not garden #26  
Gardening is my wifes hobby. I figure that each ear of corn costs me about $15.

next year she wants all cedar raised beds. The corn cost just went up to about $32. Each ear.

/ Why I do not garden #27  
Another thing to consider...commercially canned produce is overly salted and barely qualifies as 'food', IMHO. It has its place, but I much prefer fresh or frozen. .

Agreed. Check out the sodium content on the labels.

/ Why I do not garden
We never buy canned - will buy frozen or fresh. And as for the reasons to garden, well. . . see the pics. Two of them- from yesterday with the grand daughters. Enough said.
You have exceptional grand kids. Most get bored picking fruit at a fruit farm after about an hour.

Now...Have them do the work of preparing the soil, planting, weeding, harvesting and canning enough to put up 200 cans and see those smiles fade.

BTW One of my fondest memories was harvesting potatoes. If was like an Easter egg hunt in the dirt.

/ Why I do not garden #29  
The local IGA put a flyer in my groceries yesterday asking me to feed a local family. For just $24.95 they will provide 8 canned goods including cranberry sauce and gravy; instant potatoes 😬 and a box of stuffing; plus $10 for a choice of meat. That seems like a really good deal... for the grocery store which is making retail price off from people's donations.

/ Why I do not garden #30  
I remember being at my cousins. Aunt would can 350 qts cabbage. Then potatoes, snap beans, peas, squash, all kinds of things. Uncle was in the Army. He retired as Colonel from the Pentagon. He was gone a lot. But when he was there, he was there. He was there during harvest time. Of course we did garden at home. My granddaddy did a 40 with a David Bradley each year. He had an 8N but plowed with the DB while it was small. Had an old COLE planter rigged up to use on it too. We have a Covington.