Why is my Kubota losing power?

/ Why is my Kubota losing power? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I have a ten year old M 6800. For over a year, it sporadically loses power, starts chugging and stalling out when under load. It happens more when is hot after being used hard, sometimes seems its worse when fuel level is low, but that may be imagined. Its hard to duplicate. Every time i try a fix, it seems to help, but the problem reoccurs. I thought it may be air getting into the fuel lines or trash. I dropped the tank and cleaned it, replaced fuel filters, and replaced all the fuel lines. Wondering if the fuel pump? What else could it be? Its very frustrating, because it is hard to predict when it will happen.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Why is my Kubota losing power? #2  
The lift pumps go out/get weak on those engines ALL THE TIME.. they're about 55.00 & WELL WORTH the money to replace it.. even if its still good, you'll have an old good spare..
The injection pumps don't go bad intermittently.. the lift pumps do..
Remove the fuel inlet banjo bolt on the inj. pump & look to see if its rusted.. that'll give you some indication of the QUALITY of your fuel..
I'd say you have a "floater" in the tank but you've already removed & cleaned it..

/ Why is my Kubota losing power? #3  
A plugged fuel cap is another possibility. If it is not letting enough air into the tank then the fuel can't get out. Next time it happens try loosening the cap to see if it improves.

/ Why is my Kubota losing power? #4  
Are you using the 3pt or hydraulics when you lose power?
The reason I ask is that once I was using a boom pole with the ROPS folded down.
I had the 3 point lifted high and didn't realize that the top link had bottomed (topped?) out on the ROPS.
This put the hydraulic pump into bypass. When I drove across our field the machine responded like it was lacking power.
When I tried to use the FEL, almost no response. Then I looked behind me and realized why.
Should have notice all the noise from the pump, but didn't.
-Jim

/ Why is my Kubota losing power? #5  
I think the above two answers just about covers the fuel fixes. I cant think of anything else that would cause intermittent problems. I had the same thing happen with my B26 but it was fixed by changing the fuel filter but you have already done that. I also had the fuel cap problem on a lawnmower.

/ Why is my Kubota losing power? #6  
Years ago I had a similar issue with my B2910. Turns out it was a dirty fuel filter.

I was actually amazed that a dirty fuel filter could cause that symptom. When I removed the fuel filter I could not blow air through it, using my mouth, but the tractor did run normally, part of the time, with that filter, believe it or not.

So...is there a chance you had some dirty fuel in the tank that has clogged up the replacement filter you installed?

Just a thought. I could not imagine that a clogged fuel filter was causing my problems, but it was.

I guess I am just trying to say don't assume the replacement fuel filter is not clogged up too.

Bill

/ Why is my Kubota losing power? #7  
Darn, I thought I'd read about the solution incase this happens to my tractor, part time problem's drive me crazy no matter what it is.

/ Why is my Kubota losing power? #8  
Darn, I thought I'd read about the solution incase this happens to my tractor, part time problem's drive me crazy no matter what it is.
You're not the only one. They are the hardest problems to track down and just when you think you have solved your problem, it happens again.