Why no Ecoboost in the F250?

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #381  
5w/30 fully synthetic is prescribed by Ford for the EB. Youre getting that for 17.99 per 5 liter ? And does it meet the specifications required by Ford, or is it just any low grade 5w/30 ?

I can get oil at the dollar store too, with the same viscosity. Just not the same API class, its an oil approved for light duty use. Good enough for your grocery getter that gets changed once a year before it has driven the miles, but not when you change oil because youve put the max miles on it.

Fully Synthetic 5W30. Same spec as your link.

1664740470803.png

Canadian Tire usually has big sales on oil, it's not $17.99 regular price.

Attachments

• IMG_5811.jpg
    IMG_5811.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5813.jpg
    IMG_5813.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5814.jpg
    IMG_5814.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 53
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #382  
I don't know what that poster bought exactly, but Can Tire normally does not sell the SC rated (1930 engines) gasoline motor oil you may find in some dollar stores.

CTC has some house-brand synthetics (there are few refineries in Canada, and not many more in USA, so anything legit is coming from pretty much the same places) that can be lower-priced, but to address your cost question, a good quality synth 5w30 these days would be well priced at roughly twice that price here. Canadian costs are often higher than the USA, and like most of the World, have taken a significant hike in the last 2 years on most things.

That poster may have stocked up during a really exceptional Sale (Boxing Day here, Black Friday.....) @ $17.99/5L.

Rgds, D.

I buy when on sale. #1 rule of CTC is never buy something there unless it's on sale.

EDIT: #1 rule of CTC is don't let them touch your car. #2 rule isn't don't buy unless on sale.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #383  
High maintenance on a diesel is a fallacy.
I keep hearing it is, here on TBN... Me being one of the few European members, i do begin to wonder if US auto producers made that many lemons, or if they did their gas engines so much better... with gas engines in Europe we have to replace pencil style coils, Lambda sensors, entire catalysts, spark plugs, injectors, knock sensors and anything that makes modern gas engines a bit leaner than those of yesteryear...

Indeed, DPF friendly oil costs a bit more, maybe 10-15% more than what gasoline engines require. Fuel filters used to be more expensive when Common Rail was introduced at the turn of the century, but with gasoline direct injection, the difference has disappeared again.
In 14 years and 500.000km of driving the Volvo P80 platform (850/S70) with the VW 2.5 TDI i never replaced glow plugs, a turbo, fuel pump, injectors, just timing belt and water pump. I consider the broken camshaft i once had, just bad luck which can happen to any engine, however rare.

I know Ford made a few poor powerstrokes which might skew the view on diesel maintenance cost, but did GM too ?

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #384  
I know Ford made a few poor powerstrokes which might skew the view on diesel maintenance cost, but did GM too ?
GM 5.7L and 6.2L were boat anchors. 6.5 L not much better.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #385  
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #386  
Chevy and the disatermax ,fuel system problems , burning head gaskets and cooking turbos.

And it's a joy to work on like a ford.

Another poor design v8 diesel

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #387  
One issue the v8 diesels all face is turbo placement. Need to get them out of the valley but they are so tight for room as it is

I cant imagine pulling the head with the motor in the truck on either ford or chevy without pulling the cab at a minimum. Atleast in the dodge, the only part I cant take out in the truck is the crank.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #388  
High maintenance on a diesel is a fallacy.

Buy a good diesel that doesnt require maintenance.

6bt should make it to half million miles with just oil, filters, belts and idler pully or 2.

Then pull the head. Check the injectors. Check valve seats and go another half million.
I have a friend that has a '95 Dodge 3500 dually with the 6BT. He ran it over a million miles before he had to pull the head because of a water leak. He went ahead and put a new head on it, although the mechanic said it looked fine, no cracks and valve guides were still within spec. He changes the oil and filter religiously at 5K miles and rarely drives it over 60mph.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #389  
One issue the v8 diesels all face is turbo placement. Need to get them out of the valley but they are so tight for room as it is

I cant imagine pulling the head with the motor in the truck on either ford or chevy without pulling the cab at a minimum. Atleast in the dodge, the only part I cant take out in the truck is the crank.
They do take the cabs off.
The Duramax, although a V-8 design, had some problems, but much fewer than the PS.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #390  
They do take the cabs off.
The Duramax, although a V-8 design, had some problems, but much fewer than the PS.
Exactly. You cant do anything in those trucks without pulling the cab. And by design they require a lot of work to keep on the road