Why No Major Stand Alone Dealers??

/ Why No Major Stand Alone Dealers?? #1  

Git-R-Done

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 JD 1025r (Process Buying)
In my research and seriously considering Yanmar I see IN MY (Houston TX Market) area no major Yanmar dealers. Most small equipment rental companies and sell Yanmar tractors as a second revenue. So my concern is IF my closest dealer (40 miles) goes out of business or changes brand I then have much further to drive for service.

Deere is EVERYWHERE which may be why they are in the top 2 tractor sales.

/ Why No Major Stand Alone Dealers?? #2  
In my research and seriously considering Yanmar I see IN MY (Houston TX Market) area no major Yanmar dealers. Most small equipment rental companies and sell Yanmar tractors as a second revenue. So my concern is IF my closest dealer (40 miles) goes out of business or changes brand I then have much further to drive for service.

What you have observed IS a very real potential problem.

/ Why No Major Stand Alone Dealers?? #3  
same around here, there is one dealer and he is an old crotchety guy that rebuilds other old tractors and sells them, along with some new and used implements. he has about 0 nice things to say about everything and wants nearly new prices for the rusty used implements.

/ Why No Major Stand Alone Dealers?? #4  
But those big corporation dealerships are no great shakes either. They are a great source of price fixing, provide no guarantee of good service (which you would think would be their selling point), and no real compassion for the customer. I'd buy from a smaller privately owned dealer, even if I had to drive 200 miles to the dealer. Tractors don't need a dealer in your local stomping grounds nearly as much as an automobile. ( I don't even consider dealer proximity on autos either though)

/ Why No Major Stand Alone Dealers?? #5  
same around here, there is one dealer and he is an old crotchety guy that rebuilds other old tractors and sells them, along with some new and used implements. he has about 0 nice things to say about everything and wants nearly new prices for the rusty used implements.
I know who you are talking about, In CO: 1. Only one real dealer & that's him, he is fine when you get to know him 2. Yanmar shows a PAWN Shop as a dealer, ( people say if you will buy a few tractors, you are a dealer ) 3. Other one is a branch of a const dealer in G. Junction that sells their const equipt. and is not real interested in tractors, from what I heard heard.

/ Why No Major Stand Alone Dealers?? #6  

git r done, If someone is going to purchase a tractor, they should look at all the aspects of the dealer: 1. Price, of course, 2. Service, Do they send techs to Manfu schools, most required to do so, Do they have the diagnostic tools, Do they know how to use them, and Parts, Have them show you their stock for that model, a good dealer will have the parts to service what they sell and have some quantity of them, not calling one oil filter as a parts stock, and how long to get parts, as a rule, Also, remember, if for some reason the tractor needs to go to dealer for warranty repair, almost all Manfu will not pay for transporting to dealer, it is your responsibility to get it there, on your dime. Just some thoughts

/ Why No Major Stand Alone Dealers?? #7  
If mine breaks they come to it or come get it. The technicians are above average. I can get any part no later than tomorrow morning. Highly used items they have a good inventory on. Price....well it is a JD. They are 2 miles away.

/ Why No Major Stand Alone Dealers??
git r done, If someone is going to purchase a tractor, they should look at all the aspects of the dealer: 1. Price, of course, 2. Service, Do they send techs to Manfu schools, most required to do so, Do they have the diagnostic tools, Do they know how to use them, and Parts, Have them show you their stock for that model, a good dealer will have the parts to service what they sell and have some quantity of them, not calling one oil filter as a parts stock, and how long to get parts, as a rule, Also, remember, if for some reason the tractor needs to go to dealer for warranty repair, almost all Manfu will not pay for transporting to dealer, it is your responsibility to get it there, on your dime. Just some thoughts
Yep, sound advice. I do not have a trailer and plan to ask IF I can come pick up trailer and bring tractor in for service at no charge if needed. They of course will deliver after sale and seem to be good folks small dealer 2 locations so I expect that I can borrow if needed.

/ Why No Major Stand Alone Dealers?? #9  
I know who you are talking about, In CO: 1. Only one real dealer & that's him, he is fine when you get to know him 2. Yanmar shows a PAWN Shop as a dealer, ( people say if you will buy a few tractors, you are a dealer ) 3. Other one is a branch of a const dealer in G. Junction that sells their const equipt. and is not real interested in tractors, from what I heard heard.

there is a dealer for industrial/generators around as well.

I am sure he is ok if you get to know him, I have been in looking for a few things and he really disapproves of my tractor purchase, and reminds me that there will never be any parts for it ever in the world WHEN I break it. haha. and he wanted several hundred for an old rusty subsoiler. and 500 for an old rusty bush hog 4 way blade. I picked up a JD 80 for 200 in the same shape.