Why ride street bikes?

/ Why ride street bikes? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
I get it, it's your life, do what you want with it.

Recently worked a funeral for a friend who had her brother litterally run over by a car (took a couple days for him to die).

Late last year, had a cousin killed on a motorcycle as well.

I used to have a KZ100 a VERY long time ago, but gave it up. I would drive reckless on the bike (VERY fast), but that's NOT was scared me. What scared me was all the idiot drivers in cars even when I was riding "safe", and that was close to 30 years ago. Decided to stop riding, wasn't worth my life dying at someone else's hands.

I've done crap that could of killed me if it weren't for my skill and knowing my limitations, but the one thing I could NEVER shake is dying at the hands of a total idiot that I had no control over. Riding a street bike made me realize how many idiot drivers there are on the road because I had to notice EVERYTHING me around when riding. Even then, sometimes I would have a "close call". It was people that would come out from a stop sign when I had the right of way (with no stop sign on my end) that made me throw in the towel on riding when it seemed like they were trying to F with me waiting until the last minute to pull out.

Very few things I would let my boys do (they don't have drivers licenses yet). One thing that is non negotiable while living under our roof is I will NEVER allow them to get a street bike.

So, if you ride a street bike, do you understand the amount of idiot car drivers on the road?

On a plus note, the young man whose funeral I helped out at has already given 20 organs away, including his heart. In some aspects, a wonderful gift that could never be replaced, but at a cost of a life ended by stupidity of a driver of a car.

I did however agree that if "off road biking" was an interest, no problems there (as long as you know your limitations). Up in the coal region in PA, you could ride a bike an entire day and never cross the same trail twice if you wanted to, and it was fun (and sometimes illegal depending on who owned the land, but it was "corporate land" not privately owned). Thing is, there weren't any car drivers you had to cross paths with.

/ Why ride street bikes? #2  
Motorcycles are hard to see. I had coworker who was hit by another cycle. Many idiot drivers on motorcycles as well as cars

/ Why ride street bikes?
Motorcycles are hard to see. I had coworker who was hit by another cycle. Many idiot drivers on motorcycles as well as cars

I would push my bike VERY fast on the open road, to see what it would do. There were some "records" that I could never ever beat in a car per distance traveled vs time.

I was as observant on a bike as I was in a kayak doing some pretty rough stuff in whitewater, or going down a moutain of snow on a snowboard. Bottom line, it was a thrill, but you had to know what you were doing.

On a bike, you CAN'T be an idiot driver, in a car, you have more leeway IMO if you make a mistake . Going 80 in a car is different than going 80 on a bike IMO.

Per your statement, perhaps there are more idiot bike riders, I honestly don't know (I would think the same rules 30 years ago dealing with idiot car drivers apply the same today). I do think perhaps there are more idiot car drivers on the road today just due to sheer population density increase from 30 years ago and you're bound to have at least the same amount of idiots born.

/ Why ride street bikes? #4  
Riding is a full time job.

Pay attention. That is why I ride. I like to pay attention. It's a focus thing.

If you don't like it, don't do it. sort of like breathing.

/ Why ride street bikes? #5  
That's part of the reason i started riding bicycle off road, plus it being a whole bunch more interesting and fun. You still need to pay attention, but without the illogical driver dangers. I make the assumption, right or wrong, that the other animals out and about are usually thinking, are you a meal, attacking me or my cubs or maybe just entertaining. The rest is gravity, friction and inertia. :D

/ Why ride street bikes?
Riding is a full time job.

Pay attention. That is why I ride. I like to pay attention. It's a focus thing.

If you don't like it, don't do it. sort of like breathing.

I completely understand it's a focus thing. That said, no matter how much you focus, some 70 year old not paying attention can take you out in split second.

I also completely understand you can be taken out walking across the road by someone not paying attention driving a car. No one is promised life.

I just see the odds increasing that you will die riding a motorcycle due to the stupidity of a car driver.

About 15 years ago going to a creek to paddle. Came across a biker with him on the bike in the ditch with one of his legs out in the middle of the road. He died due to blood loss. The car driver was riding outside his lane around the bend and took the biker out (both coming in different directions of each other). 15 years ago on that scene justified my decision on giving up riding.

I'm not trying to preach, and if it comes across that way, apologies.

/ Why ride street bikes? #7  
I agree totally!!! I used to ride street also, I gave it up due to same reasons. May I add a even more important reason to STOP and that is the riders family that they leave behind because they "have" to ride.
A lot of the riders have young families that are depending on them and riding in this day age just seems selfish to me.

/ Why ride street bikes? #8  
Preach away Sigarms. I sold mine to a friend 20 years ago because of other drivers and bad road conditions in some areas. I drive a dually most of the time now because I see people texting, yapping on the phone zoning or just bad situational awareness for them.

Within the last two weeks I had what I consider close calls with my easy to see truck. On an intersection with two turn lanes I was the outside vehicle. The inside vehicle was abreast of me in the turn and before I know it she was about 3-4 feet over the line almost into my door. I saw her on the phone at the stop sign talking on the phone and my wife said she was still on the phone when she crossed the line. Then yesterday at a T intersection (No stop for me) and guy on my right with a PU slowed down to about 8 MPH at his stop sign and motored through just as I was getting there. I had to brake hard as did he and our noses were a couple feet apart. Phew

I was seriously considering a bike again a few months ago, but that urge went out the window. The road in TN are a major suck anyway. No shoulders, just drop offs at the white line. Sometimes the white line is in the ditch.

/ Why ride street bikes? #9  
I gave up for the same reasons as the OP. An auto driver will look at you, pull out and laugh about it when you go into a skid to miss them.
Edit

A relative is a paramedic for Lifeflight, which is Maine's air ambulance. He calls bikes "Donorcycles", and says that riders are his biggest customer.

/ Why ride street bikes? #10  
I rode until I was 20 when I married a nurse who worked in ER. The tales she told and the close calls I'd had from stupid auto drivers convinced me. I really shake my head when I see helmetless riders in short pants. Their lives, but wow......